Prespawn Smallmouths

jifigz

jifigz

The rivers and streams are warming significantly and spring is most definitely here. I had about 30 minutes to walk down to the Juniata and explore this morning so I did. The fish were right where I expected them to be. They were pushed up tight to islands and in the current breaks and basically in their spawning territory. I got 2 nice 15" healthy bass in the half an hour I had and walked back up. I'm guessing these were males and the bigger females are still lingering off just downriver of the spawning grounds. Either way, the smallies are definitely moving into their spawning grounds. I hope other people are picking up some good bass too. This was my first time out in the Juniata in a few weeks as I have been trout fishing.

The fact that my pictures never want to attach drives me crazy. They we smaller than the maximum file size and I'm not sure why they won't attach. I'm even a very tech savvy person but they just won't upload from my phone. So weird. If anyone has suggestions please off them up.

I use this it seems to work well no strings attached either
https://cubeupload.com

I fished from 8-9 this morning and things are really heaitng up. I landed 6 bass in the hour with 5 of them in the 16" range and very chunky. I also caught one little dink which is unusual for this time of year and where it was holding. All fish were pushed up tight to islands and they were certainly males moving into the spawning sites. I love this time of year. I will try to upload some pictures soon. White bunny streamer was my best and only producer. I went to set the hook on what felt like a hefty fish and had a knot failure or weak tipper and I lost it. I went to tie another one on and realized I didn't have anymore. Time to hit the vise. I couldn't get another fly to produce.

Just FYI to all. jifigz has a place way upstream on the Juniata where fishing for SMB is legal right now. Note that the lower Juniata River from Port Royal downstream and the Susquehanna River mainstem all water downstream of the confluence of the west branch is closed to bass fishing until June 15th.

Susquehanna River (98.0 miles) from the inflatable dam near Sunbury downstream to Holtwood Dam, including all tributaries to a point 1/2 mile upstream from the confluence.
Juniata River (31.7 miles) from SR0075 bridge at Port Royal downstream to the mouth, including all tributaries to a point 1/2 mile upstream from the confluence.

CLOSED SEASON, NO TOURNAMENTS. From 12:01 a.m. on May 1 through June 15. During the closed season, it is unlawful to target or attempt to catch a bass. A bass that is accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released unharmed without being removed from the water. It is unlawful to possess bass in, on or along these waters.

Remainder of the year:
NO HARVEST—CATCH AND IMMEDIATE RELEASE ONLY; catch-measure-immediate release tournaments only.
Dauphin, Juniata, Perry Juniata River (31.7 miles) from SR0075 bridge at Port Royal downstream to the mouth, including all tributaries to a point 1/2 mile upstream from the confluence.

Male bass are on redds in my neck of the woods now, both LMs in ponds and lakes, and SMBs in flowing water.

Help needed on river depths for wading. I haven’t fished the river for several years but when we did I relied on the Harrisburg gauge to see if we would be able to wade. 3.5 feet seemed to provide just the right depth around Liverpool and upstream for wading. Am I right that above 3.5 feet wading begins to get iffy?

Yaker wrote:
Help needed on river depths for wading. I haven’t fished the river for several years but when we did I relied on the Harrisburg gauge to see if we would be able to wade. 3.5 feet seemed to provide just the right depth around Liverpool and upstream for wading. Am I right that above 3.5 feet wading begins to get iffy?

The Susky in that section is closed to bass fishing right now and will open in mid-June.

3.5' or below @ the H-burg gage is a good wading level. Although I wade (carefully) in certain sections if the gage is anywhere below 4', since some seasons the River never drops to lower levels.

Back