Presenting a Dry Fly

FlyFisherMin

FlyFisherMin

Dry fly fishing can go wrong in many different ways, especially to fish who are easily spooked. So I was wondering if there are things that help keep a dry fly presentable, so that fish don't run when it hits the water. How to keep your fly line from smacking the water and scaring fish from the noise, and what do do beforehand to prepare for dry fly fishing. In conclusion, how to make easily spooked fish sip your dry flies. How to cast, where to cast, what to look for.

Any help would be great :)

First off, you want to hunt these fish, don't just blind cast. Stalk the fish wearing camo or earth tone clothes not bright clothes. When you cast, cast well above the fish and let it drift drag free with a long leader. When you stop your forward cast, stop high so the line will have to flutter onto the water and don't slap your fly down, let it drift down to the water. If you do these thing and present your fly further up stream from the fish, you will have more hook ups. Go to the Federation Of Fly Fisherman website and watch thier casting videos and they cover all this

I almost always fish upstream - wading very slowly so that you don't put ripples over the fish. And, the closer you can get to the fish - the easier it is to make a good presentation IMO
It's surprising how close you can get to large wary fish by moving carefully. I do this all the time on the delaware river - which is known for it's very challenging wild fish.
And making a soft cast - so that the fly lands gently - is something you just have to get the feel for. Aiming high - as frequent tyer pointed out - is the key. Be worth practicing IMO

Back