Pre-Season "Purge"

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I started back to tying up about 4 years ago after decades of not tying. It sure took some time to get better and start tying fly's that look good and actually work.

I was doing an "inventory" of what I needed to start my winter bench time and as part of that I pulled out my fly boxes. So, I'm going through my fly boxes and I'm asking myself...."Why do I have 1/4 of a box dedicated to white mayflies.....when I don't fish white mayflies? I also look at some "stuff" I've tied that either doesn't look good because of hanging out in the fly box for a few years (unused) or there because of the "If I tied it....it must stay".

So, I've just decided to purge anything that looks ugly, looks like the first fly I ever tied in my life, or fly's that I simply do not use. I have fly's....half-a-dozen...or so that frankly, I don't even know the name of 'em, and have no reason to think I'll use them.

Am I alone in this....or is this something others do?

And BTW......one lesson here is....just because I tied it....doesn't mean it looks good....nor will it even come close to working!!!

you would be suprised how many fish are caught on ugly flys. for example, i dont tie any of my drys with wings on them. just the tail, body, hackle, and head. and i have no problem catching trout on drys. after all are the trout really seeing the wings while the fly is floating high on the water collum? or care for that matter that there are no wings? i doubt it. its the shape, color, size, hackle, and of course a good drift that sparks their interest.

however, i will tie the elk hair on for a caddis fly.

happy new year!

For a minute there I thought you were talking about purging numerous fly boxes of purchased flies. An alien condition for many fly anglers no doubt.

No.....I just got rid of some really bad one's. I'm not quite sure what to do with about 40 white mayfly type flies. I've just not used them where I fish. I'll figure out how to store them so they stay in good shape. That will free up a good chunk of a fly box.

After all, I can only carry so many fly boxes at one time!!

It’s a pain in the a$$ but you could always take a razor blade to the some of the white mayflies and reuse the hooks. Another option is to burn all the materials off the hook. I do this at times with flies that are just taking up space.

Another option is to burn all the materials off the hook. I do this at times with flies that are just taking up space.
Wouldn't this make the hooks more brittle?

Wouldn't this make the hooks more brittle?
Yeah....I've cut off, or attempted to cut off "bad fly's" in order to reuse the hook. IMHO, unless it's very easy, or the hook is for a streamer and not a bunch of glue has been used, it's simply easier (and safer since no razor knives are involved) to use a new hook.

I started back to tying up about 4 years ago after decades of not tying. It sure took some time to get better and start tying fly's that look good and actually work.

I was doing an "inventory" of what I needed to start my winter bench time and as part of that I pulled out my fly boxes. So, I'm going through my fly boxes and I'm asking myself...."Why do I have 1/4 of a box dedicated to white mayflies.....when I don't fish white mayflies? I also look at some "stuff" I've tied that either doesn't look good because of hanging out in the fly box for a few years (unused) or there because of the "If I tied it....it must stay".

So, I've just decided to purge anything that looks ugly, looks like the first fly I ever tied in my life, or fly's that I simply do not use. I have fly's....half-a-dozen...or so that frankly, I don't even know the name of 'em, and have no reason to think I'll use them.

Am I alone in this....or is this something others do?

And BTW......one lesson here is....just because I tied it....doesn't mean it looks good....nor will it even come close to working!!!
You are not alone. For me it’s not about good vs bad ties, but an issue of quantity. I have more flies than I could use in a lifetime and continue to tie more. I blame it on Youtube and my tendency to tie a dozen of each pattern at each sitting. Take for example a new (to me) euro nymph pattern that catches my fancy. I may tie a dozen in sizes 14, 16, 18 and 20. Multiply that by tying in varying bead sizes for different water conditions and before I know it I’ve filled the better part of a box with one pattern that may or may not catch fish. When I go through that box at the end if the season. I often find I never even tied one on.

Last year, I started a small experimental box for new patterns or variations of existing patterns. Instead of tying 48 as in the example above, I tied one in each size and forced myself to fish them. If they worked I would tie more, but never more than three. If they didn’t, I would tear them apart and repurpose the hook.

This month starts my 3rd year " on the vise". I have a coffee mug that is filling up with discarded flies deemed" not good enough." Think of it as the cost of learning and it might make you feel better. I've given from my trash mug to 2 buddies that are just getting started because one man's trash is another's treasure.

I purge the beat up, the rusted and the maimed flies and replace them. Usually the hooks are worthless but I do save the beads.

I do inventory of all my flies at the end of each season - usually mid to late November.
Go through each pattern and remove the beat up ones. Then write down how many are left, to find out how many I need to replace. And get back to a set amount that I want going into the new season.

Unlike the majority here though, I don't just pitch bad flies
I put them into a "recycle" bowl and reuse the majority of them.

Many of them are repairable - like a hackle that has come unwound, or a broken tail.
These are easily repaired and worth saving IMO.
Doesn't take long at all to replace or rewind a hackle, or fix a broken tail.
And still worth doing, compared to tying a whole new fly - tail, wing, body and hackle.

If the fly is beat up too bad that everything needs replaced, I then cut it all off.
Takes like 30 seconds. And reuse it
Can't see pitching a perfectly good hook
And, in the long run, saving a little money too

I won't reuse a hook that's rusty or bent though.
And the only time I toss it

I find that flies without wire ribs or lead wraps under the body are pretty easy to take a razor blade to and reuse the hook. I wouldn’t think a few seconds in a flame to burn off some thread, dubbing and hackle is going to damage a steel hook.

A good pair of side cutters works well on lead wraps or wire ribbing.

I purge the beat up, the rusted and the maimed flies and replace them. Usually the hooks are worthless but I do save the beads.
Never thought about the beads! Wow. They cost more than gold!

By the way, donating the poorly tied flies to let’s say, Project Healing Waters, Scout troops, Camp Braec or similar charity might also be a good idea.

By the way, donating the poorly tied flies to let’s say, Project Healing Waters, Scout troops, Camp Braec or similar charity might also be a good idea.
I’d love to tie for any of these organizations. I just need a contact to find out what they would need/like. Anyone have contacts? PM me if you do.

I’d love to tie for any of these organizations. I just need a contact to find out what they would need/like. Anyone have contacts? PM me if you do.
I believe Dave W does the youth camp thing every year.

I desperately need to do a purge, but I am so lazy, that I usually set them aside and tye new flies each year

I'd be too embarrassed to give crappy looking flies to any of those organizations, particularly PHW.

I'd give them to kids I know personally... ...maybe. I dunno. This goes back to my comments on the threads about tackle suitable for kids. If I wouldn't use it, I'm not going to make some kid or beginner use it.

Back