Practicing the Basic Fly Cast

RCFetter

RCFetter

I’ve been practicing in the back yard and watching Joan Wulff’s DVD, the “Dynamics of Fly Casting.” I’m only concentrating on the second and third parts, moving the rod from 10 to 2 or false casting.

Here is my practice outline mostly taken from my understanding of the DVD.

Four Part Cast

1. Pick up or Lifting line off of water.
- Rod speed slow.
- Wrist is bent down so that rod handle is parallel to wrist and arm

2. Back Cast (starts when only leader is in the water).
- Rod speed is fast from 10 o’clock to 2 o’clock but 10 o’clock to 1 o’clock is better.
- Wrist is straightened so that rod handle is at a 30 degree angle to wrist and arm.
- Elbow is lifted and forearm is brought back to 2 o’clock.

3. Forward Cast (starts when you feel line loading against rod or a 1 or 2 second delay).
- Rod speed is fast from 2 o’clock to 10 o’clock.
- Elbow is lowered.
- Movement is like a chop.
- Wrist is bent down so that rod handle is parallel to wrist and arm.

4. Laydown
- Rod speed is slow.
- Wrist is bent down.

Right now I’m concentrating on just keeping the rod between 10 and 2 until that becomes automatic. To a lesser extent, I’m concentrating on not bending my wrist backwards on the back cast.

In the DVD, Joan Wulff states that she invented the idea of moving the elbow up and down. So far I’m not even thinking about moving my elbow up and down.

Is my outline OK and am I approaching this correctly? What is the conventional wisdom on moving the elbow up and down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RC - There's some gaps/missing information in your written asessment of the four part cast.

Without trying to fix your cast here - kinda tough to do without seeing it - I'll make the offer to meet you in person to help you. PM me if interested. I'd also be happy to help you on May 5th at the newbie "brush up" session at the Little Lehigh.

Just an example of something that stands out to me, is the application of power on the back cast and forward cast. It should be a smooth acceleration to an abrupt stop. Applying too much power too quickly is a sure recipe for tailing loops. There's lots more, but it's best explained in person...

Normally, I get paid to instruct casting, but since I'm not officially teaching right now, you get the PAFF discount (free).

H.A.

RC, you were casting very well a few weeks ago. My advice (although H-A would be much better to take advice from) is to not get stuck with all steps running around in your head. Work on muscle memory. I can tell you from first hand experience that I do not always stay between 10 and 2 but I have been doing it for so long, I can still make it work. Don't make the mistake of becoming too mechanical about your cast. Work the basics and let it happen for you.

Thanks guys. I expect to be up on the Little Lehigh on Sat, May 5th.

I'm practicing about 15 min everyday in the back yard so I guess I'm looking for drills or what to concentrated on.

Good stuff.

Open your stance and watch your loop. Concentrate on getting a tight loop like the one Hertiage Ed is casting above.

Rod tip in a Straight Line (line will follow rod tip)
Load (bend) the rod with a Smooth Application of Power coming to an Abrupt Stop

Look at the loop. Good luck.

I forgot about keeping the rod on the same plane during the back and forward cast. I don't think that's mentioned on Wulff's video.

Looking at the loop on the back cast is something else I haven't considered.

Thanks for the advice.

Back