Powerdermill Gets $730K

beerbyrnes

beerbyrnes

"The Richard King Mellon Foundation is investing $730,000 to create a major Appalachian research center--what it hopes will become one of North America's biggest such facilities. The money will go to expand the Carnegie Museum of Natural History's Center for Biodiversity and Ecosystems and the Powdermill Nature Reserve located in the Laurel Highlands, in southwestern Pennsylvania. TAF's Jennifer Szweda Jordan interviews John Wenzel, director of the museum's Center for Biodiversity and Ecosystems."

the allegheny front

screw them! put a gas well in the middle of it!!
just kidding of course.

Do they allow fishing there?

Powdermill is a great resource as an education center. This should take them to the next level. It is truly a hidden jewel.

I'm actually gonna check it out in the spring, have a cabin rented at linn run in march, figured my girlfriend would like checking it out. I've always driven past it, but never stopped.

linn run is a cool park.

I find it interesting that they allow hunting but not fishing. Granted, it appears that you need a special permit to hunt, but why not the same for fishing? They could charge extra and earn a bit of working capital form it. Though just looking at the place and its history, it seems to already reek of old money and status. (The land was originally owned by Mellon and Scaife.)

In many nature reserves they want to keep the deer population from getting abnormally high, to prevent the vegetation from getting ravaged.

So, deer hunters provide them with a service, helping them meet their goals.

Public fishing wouldn't provide them any such benefit.

Sure, those pesky little brook trout can overpopulate a stream and get stunted. They need to be harvested. :-D

I think the stream is populated with wild bows.

Bows should be harvested.

Back