Potter County

pabrookie94

pabrookie94

Question for all of you that fish in potter county.

What streams would be good this time of year for brookies and browns? I'm in McKean so closer to my side would be better. Myself and a friend are going next week and I'm hoping to throw the terrestrials.

Last year I went with a friend who took me to a "magic stream" in which we fished for 8 hours and caught 1 a piece (not that I didn't enjoy it) but I would like a little faster pace than that. I understand if you do not want to give away names but even an area would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Jordan

Depends on the flows. What part of Potter are you going to? If flows are still solid, any small stream will be "magic". Avoid Pine and Kettle unless you're well up into the upper end of Kettle (the WBTE area would be great).

Austin is the nearest "city" to me in potter. I take route 6 right into it.

upper first fork is fishing well right now... anywhere from costello and up.. had a great weekend up there.. 40 landed between my brother and I on friday evening. and around 25 saturday night.. i was tight lining with small stones and he was throwing any dry at those feeding on top.. yellow sulphur, bwo, cahill, slate drakes, didnt matter really..

get it while you can this week may cook those waters unfortunately

I agree with upper Kettle and First Fork. You may also want to check out Freemans Run near Austin. There is also the Upper Allegheny and some of its tribs near Coudersport that may be worth checking out. If your traveling Route 6, most likely your going to go right through Coudersport to get to Austin.

SlingerFlyRods wrote:

Streams in that area got some thunderstorm help last night. Kettle was at 89cfs at 7:00PM yesterday, it's now around 320cfs. Stream temp dropped as well. All of the early summer rain was God sent.

I'll definitely be trying a few of these streams. Unfortunately I can't get there until next week.

wildtrout2 wrote:
SlingerFlyRods wrote:

Streams in that area got some thunderstorm help last night. Kettle was at 89cfs at 7:00PM yesterday, it's now around 320cfs. Stream temp dropped as well. All of the early summer rain was God sent.

i see kettle at crossforks temp dropped to 57 where it currently sits at 254 cfs.. man if i had a vacation day thats where id be right now

Pick up a stone, throw the stone, if it hits water, fish there.

Chaz wrote:
Pick up a stone, throw the stone, if it hits water, fish there.

Not so sure about that. You've likely spooked that spot with the stone. I'd walk upstream a little from where you threw the stone and start fishing there.

Fished Kettle a week ago when it was at 250 cfs. Water level was great and the fish really cooperated.

My son and his buddy was at our camp this past weekend in the Kettle Creek Valley. They said water flows were in good shape. Didn’t get water temps, but felt nice an cool. They even hit some rising fish on Kettle and fished a few of the brook trout streams that fished pretty well too.

Any additional updates on the First Fork and Kettle? Is the water still looking good?

CWE24 wrote:
Any additional updates on the First Fork and Kettle? Is the water still looking good?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01543700

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01544500

My brother inlaw and I fished the Allegheny over the July 4th weekend and had an absolute blast. We were above Coudersport. Between him and I we had about 20 fish in 2 hours.

Back