Potter County Brookie

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

Here is a 11" Potter County brookie I caught a few weeks ago. Thought I'd try my first picture post with it.

Attachments

• potter brookie.jpg
    potter brookie.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 10
The green weenie comes through!

Nice vivid colors. The green stands out especially well!!
Just kidding, I use them all the time.
An 11-inch brookie is a good catch. They're not all that common at that size.

Caution that has got to be an air brushed photo.

#1 We all know that there are no brook trout in PA over 6 inches. This is nearly double. IMPOSSIBLE

#2 No self respecting fish would ever stirke at a green wennie!

Arent Brookies just the most beautiful fish!!?? nice pic btw! cant wait to head up that way someday soon!

S,

Well there must be very few trout with any sense of self-respect.

You know, it's interesting to note that I have never caught a smallmouth on a green weenie. Wild brookies yes, smallmouth never. Can't wait to see how Chaz responds to that!! :p :p

Where in Potter was this caught?

Padraic wrote:

Well there must be very few trout with any sense of self-respect.

You know, it's interesting to note that I have never caught a smallmouth on a green weenie. Wild brookies yes, smallmouth never. Can't wait to see how Chaz responds to that!! :p :p

Those green worm patterns are actually very good imitative patterns. People were tying Green Rockworm patterns, to imitate the large, bright green free living caddis larvae that live in many streams and Sinking Inchorms to imitate inchworms, long before someone had a few too many Rolling Rocks and came up with the Green Weenie name.

Wild brookies and browns hit them with abandon because green caddis larvae and inchworms are both common in trout streams. In the typical smallmouth water, like the Susquehanna River, probably neither is very common.

It's not a traditional Green Weenie. It's made out of strands of chartrues poly rope fibers. I bought it at Kettle Creek fly shop. For some reason that nymph worked and my Weenies tied with chartreuse chenille wouldn't. I had not been in Potter Cty for over 20 years and had not fished there ever. Took a weeks vacation, camped at Ole Bull. And hit all the usual streams plus a few more. This one came from Slate Run, surprised the heck out of me after catching a few little ones nearby.

The original picture was at about 5 MB and it lost something in shrinking it down. Probably my best trout picture so far. What was interesting was none of the brookies I caught displayed the brilliant spawning colors that I'm used to seeing.

This same nymph caught several rainbows (stockies) out of Cross Fork Creek. It was a fun learning experience, especially trying to handle a camera in some of the faster water on Kettle Creek.

Forgot to mention as I was working up Slate Run there were several very large chartreuse catapillers in the stream bed. They went about 3 inches or so. They had hard body segments. I'll have to check to see what type of moth/butterfly they are.

Padraic,
I've never used a greenie worm when fishing for smallies, but next time I go for them I'll try. I seem to always do best with streamers. But the biggest smallie I ever caught was not as big as the biggest brookie I ever caught and the biggest smallie I ever caught was an 18 inch fish. The biggest brookie was 20ish, but I didn't land it, it ws not in PA, but on L.I. and it was wild. The biggest brookie I've caught in PA. was 16 inches and it was on a Sulplur Compara Dun. What a fight!

Back