Posting of trout stockings

azjackstraw

azjackstraw

At a recent sportsman club meeting, a question was brought up that seemed to divide the room almost 50/50.
Someone brought up the fact that the "clubs" stocking schedule was being posted online. And this person felt that the club stockings should only be made available to club members. What do you guys think?
I was surprised how passionate some of the members feel that the trout that come from the clubs nursery, belong to the club members. The trout originate in Bellefonte, then the club feeds them, raises the money to feed them, etc.
Who do the trout belong to? Once the trout are stocked in a public stream, doesn't anybody with a legal license have a shot at them? Should dues paying members be given a "private" list? Please keep in mind this is not a private fishing club, the fish are all stocked in open, public streams.

If they're stocked in a public stream, the public has every right to fish for them. It would seem that the "Club" has to decide if notification of the stocking is given, or not.

Once the trout are released into water open to public fishing, they are the public's fish as far as I'm concerned.

Agree they're anyone's to fish for, and they are the public's once stocked into a stream open to public angling. And if they're PFBC fingerlings given to the club to help raise, then they should be stocked into a stream open to public angling, and not private, posted club water. (I understand here that they are being stocked in water open to public angling, which is good.)

The rub here is whether the club should be obligated to publish for the public's view when they are going to stock them, like an official PFBC stocking. I don't think there should be a requirement that they do that, and perhaps that's a reasonable compromise. Though they are in theory publicly owned fish from their origin, the club did expend their funds and labor to raise them to adults. I'm ok with the club having the advantage of knowing WHEN they're stocked over the general public, but both the club and the public should be able to fish for them.

I like the idea of their publishing the stocking schedule - It not only gives them credit as a club but also that they are contributing to the community by stocking the trout. This may also be a audit necessity in order to remain a tax free entity.

the issue is not about who owns the fish. They are stocked in open water available to all who want to fish. The rub is that when the stocking is published for all to see, the "truck chasers" line up and immediately begin to pull them out.

Club members obviously know when and where the fish are put in. However, many knowing the effort required to raise the fish, maintain their hatchery etc. seem to have better understanding of allowing the newly stocked fish to acclimate to a totally new environment before hammering them immediately upon being put in the streams.

This is not a matter of who the trout "belong" to - but rather an issue of whether the stocking dates should be made public.

If the club is stocking fish they raised from their hatchery, and their operations are funded by their club membership, then they're not obligated to announce dates. I'm surprised so many club members would want to see public dates (unless their open read website is the only source thay have for stocking dates - this info should be available elsewhere, such as newsletters, clubhouse bulletin boards, etc).

If non-membership anglers want that level of information so they can chase the trucks, they can join the club and get the inside info.

I agree with Dave. Fish obviously belong to no one. Once they are in a public stream they do what they please and will get caught by whomever is there casting at them. If the club doesn't like the fact that the dates are published on their website then I'm sure they can have a vote on their board of directors. Obviously any club/organization has meetings governed by Robert's Rules and that is where these issues should be resolved. If the group votes in favor of publishing the dates then live with it, if the group decides to remove the dates then live with it. It amazes me how many people get upset about very trivial things.

One of the problems is that hatchery trout do show up in streams that are designated as wild trout waters and, according to the PFBC, should not be stocked. I am speaking particularly of ‘Wilderness’ and ‘Class A’ waters. I have caught hatchery trout on several occasions in these places and wonder where they are coming from. Where co-op fish are being stocked should be known to the PFBC and to the angling public. When they are stocked is, for me, no problem.

"I'm ok with the club having the advantage of knowing WHEN they're stocked over the general public, but both the club and the public should be able to fish for them. "

this^^^^^^^

The public does have a right to fish for them. That is not at issue.

The issue raised in the OP is whether the club should post when and where they stock trout.

What the club does regarding this is up to the club members to decide, and non-members have no say in the matter.

But in my opinion the PFBC should publish which streams are being stocked by the coop hatcheries. Because the PFBC supports the coop hatcheries.

Right now that info is not made public. It's not in the regs booklet, and not on their website.

But the PFBC has this info. The coops are required to report which waters they stock trout to the PFBC.

I don't think the date of stocking needs to be published, and that would be very difficult to do. The coops are small operations manned by volunteers.

I say publish only on the Off The Water Forum here, this way only registered members of PAFF will have the advantage.

Where clubs stock into wild trout streams is the only aspect relevant to me. The PFBC should monitor closely to reduce interference with the spawn in particular.

I would like to see a stocking schedule so I know when and where NOT to go.

From a strictly business POV, the FBC provides fingerlings to the club and the club provides the facility, maintenance, food, labor and transportation. Provided the fish are stocked in public access ( they are), the fish are pubic property. The value added by raising and stocking the fish and the intellectual value of the when and where are the club's. No requirement to tell the public. If the public wants to know they can file a FOIA request and get that info from the FBC.

The PFBC should post the streams sections stocked by the coop hatcheries not just so the public has recreational opportunities they are helping to pay for.

But also as environmental disclosure. Many of these hatchery trout are being over wild trout populations, including native brook trout.

In many cases PFBC stocking is done over wild trout also, but at least in that case the stocking info is disclosed, and is easily found on their website.

It's not kept secret. The public has a right to know.

Thanks for all the great input. I appreciate it. I hope it doesn't come to a vote situation, but if it does I'll post the outcome.

It’s always been my understanding that the stockings were kind of a public service to the community they live in. And abenifit to all. If some thinks it’s otherwise they should seek out some private property.

Interesting conversation...I guess if the coop exists and operates exclusively on the funds provided by its membership, then they have a point about keeping the stocking dates 'in house.'

But, if the coop is holding open house events or running special raffles or other fund raising activities that involve and draw upon the public at large, then the public is probably entitled to know without having to join.

Back