Porta-bote

• Thread starter theoriginalnickyp
  • Start date
theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

Anyone have any experience with these? Seems ideal for getting into hard to reach places, plus you can row it like a drift boat.

Yep - I've fished out of one owned by a friend for at least 10 years. They're durable, portable,light enough for cartop carry. Great little boat.

sgrim wrote:
Yep - I've fished out of one owned by a friend for at least 10 years. They're durable, portable,light enough for cartop carry. Great little boat.
What types of water did you use it in? Ever try using like a drift boat on a Lehigh type river?

I owned one a while back.

It's a decent lake boat and would work in calm river sections, but it's not a drift boat by any stretch...

afishinado wrote:
I owned one a while back.

It's a decent lake boat and would work in calm river sections, but it's not a drift boat by any stretch...

It only draws 4", if it could navigate some class II's that would be about all I would need. I would think being made out of polyethylene it could withstand banging into some rocks ok. Drifting would be more of an added bonus rather than it's primary use.

theoriginalnickyp wrote:
sgrim wrote:
What types of water did you use it in? Ever try using like a drift boat on a Lehigh type river?

Mostly lakes, but also rivers like the Susky and Delaware. It's tough enough to handle moderate scraping and bouncing off river rocks. We've typically use an electric motor or small gas outboard and don't rely on oars.

Picked up the new to me porta-bote today, hope to get the maiden voyage in this weekend. Thanks all for the advice!

Back