poppers and sliders

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm looking for some foam patterns. I have tried to "invent" my own and so far... meh. If anyone has some easy patterns to tie up I'd appreciate it. Even though mine were just so so, they did catch a handful of fish over the weekend.

Wapsi Perfect Poppers are your friend...also, you can make a decent popper out of a foam cylinder.

Gartside Gurgler. Simple, effective.

gfen wrote:

Gartside Gurgler. Simple, effective.

+1

I tie mine with estaz over the foam body instead of hackle. The brighter, the better. And I like a marabou tail.

peace-tony c.

Actually, agreed on marabou for sure. I didn't even remember that Jack's original directions called for bucktail.

These things are super versatile, if you opt for a slider in lieu of the gurgler, cut the lip off. If you want it to pop more, leave a bigger lip, or tie with two pieces of foam.

I find black to be highly effective, I usually tie in a square of bright yellow or chartruse into the final wrap that creates teh lip. this gives more area to push water, and you see it better.

Should try estaz.

gfen wrote:

Actually, agreed on marabou for sure. I didn't even remember that Jack's original directions called for bucktail.

These things are super versatile, if you opt for a slider in lieu of the gurgler, cut the lip off. If you want it to pop more, leave a bigger lip, or tie with two pieces of foam.

I find black to be highly effective, I usually tie in a square of bright yellow or chartruse into the final wrap that creates teh lip. this gives more area to push water, and you see it better.

Should try estaz.

Yup...didn't mention it as I never considered it a "popper", lumped it into the same category as the Clouser floating minnow. Funny story, for a while about 3 years ago, I thought I invented this fly trying to design a floating version of the sparkle grub, just to find out it had already been invented...oh well, at least I didn't "borrow" it and slap my name on it like Jack Gartside did.

I've been doing small (like size 12) chartruese gurglers with rubber legs and killing the smallies with them.

Do you guys try to match the tail color with the body color on your poppers? Or is there some other rule of thumb that you use when tying poppers or gurglers, etc.?

with trout, I try to keep it similar colors and match the naturals..
for bass, panfish, etc, I mix it and and make it as bright as possible.

djmyers wrote:
Do you guys try to match the tail color with the body color on your poppers? Or is there some other rule of thumb that you use when tying poppers or gurglers, etc.?

I like to mix it up...some one solid color,some two colors, and, if I'm feeling really artsy, I'll do something like a perch or a fire tiger.

My favorite sliders are made out of older Orvis Sneaky Pete bodies with a heavy tail constructed of saddle feathers, marabou, and Krystal Flash. I can cast them upstream, twitch and slide them as they drift, and make them dive and swim on retrieve against the current.

I know you're fishing a lot of the same water I am; The best and most consistently productive slider/popper(fly for that matter) I use and tie is size 4-8 white deer hair body(slider cut), white marabou collar, and white zonker strip tail. Simple, and way affective. No matter how the fish want it. Dead drift, pop, skate, whatever. The best part is the fish like action it imparts in the water. I've tied a couple articulated versions and can you say jointed Rapala? Hell; I've been catching some of the larger holdovers on it lately too!

just something to think about.
on my creek i have found that cork bodies out fish foam bodies.
same size, same color, cork always wins.

Back