popper bodies

rhbuilds

rhbuilds

i made a few poppers using ear plugs and bought some from bassfly.biz . i seen on youtube that people are coating plug when done with epoxy or clear nailpolish, whats that for? purtecting the plug so it last longer? if thats the case what is a good product to coat with. i was thinking of getting clear nail polish with glitter. im new at this fly tying stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_4051.jpg
    IMG_4051.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4052.jpg
    IMG_4052.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 6
Sally Henson Hard as Nails! Have your wife/significant other pick you up some.

Not too bad for a newbie fly tyer. I'm not much of a popper fisherman, but I need to try some new ones out this year.

ryguyfi wrote:
Sally Henson Hard as Nails! Have your wife/significant other pick you up some.

I never quite got the issue with guys buying this stuff solo.

I BUY IT ALL THE TIME,BOZO.
Use it to seal pruning cuts on my rose bushes.
guess you think there is something "strange" about flower boys"?lol

You evidently weren't around when I shared my love of a good pedicure with the forum. I fear no ladies' section, rosemonkey!

Oh, and to try and be mildly relevant... Sandfly was a proponent of gellies fabric paint for flies, and it always seemed like a good idea but I've never seen the specific one he recommended in stores. I know some guys use Softex for the same thing, too.

I use Puffy brand fabric paint on mt soft-bodied poppers, it does a really good job of filling in the thread divets, and comes in a ton of colors, including metallics and glitters...

I don't ever buy head cement. I use clear coat nail polish from the dollar store. It works just was well as the cement. You can't beat it for $1.00.

And it take dye really well.

If you stop over tomorrow night, bring those poppers. I have hard as nails and UV epoxy. You can try both out to see which one works better. I also have the puffy paint stuff mentioned above in hot orange and yellow.

Good looking poppers! Quick question though, what hook did you use for the earplug popper?

JH

a mustad popper hook. i heated up a hat pin and burned hole in popper first.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 3
thanks, in a size 4 or 6?

JH

size 6

Thanks again, have a couple hundred ears @ my disposal, just might tie a few.

JH

Back