Pop Lip

jay348

jay348

So I got popfleyes for xmas and I was immediately drawn to this pattern after reading it. I finally got around to tying one up last night.

6851252253_51e51d034d_b.jpg

6851250549_bc87b56755_b.jpg

I think it came out alright...just need to see if it swims like it should.

Anybody tie or use these in the salt? Suggestions?

On another note...I can't wait for spring.

that is a great fly to use at the beach, especially when the mullet run...been tying with out the lip too, kinda like a hedden spook.just walk the dog as they say..

Looks good to me. I really like it, like sandfly said looks like a heddon spook, one of my favorite lures when spin fishing for small mouth.

Thanks, i did try a few without the lip beforehand. I like how they look as well. Fun to tie but time consuming!

Do you guys fish them with sinking line/tip? I feel like they'd be pretty bouyant as is, but would move a lot like something wounded with a more erratic/jerky retrieve on a sinking line.

Nice looking fly i'm going to have to look into that pattern for my small mouth fishing.

Bob P. designed it to fish in the surface film, so a floating line works best. surf fishermen will slow reel a lure like a bomber across the surface creating a wake and this is what bob did to copy that action..tie it in school bus yellow on top and a small amount of white on bottom killer at I.B.S.P.

The video I saw of Bob P. fishing the pop lip to show the action was unbelievable. I had no idea you could that amount of side to side action from a fly like that. He showed it riding high in the water, almost floating. Had action just like a plug fished on a spinning rod.

I've experimented a considerable amount with "swimming lips" on streamer flies.....To be honest, I think it's a mixed bag. For one thing, as anyone with conventional lure experience knows, even very slight adjustments in the "lip" can cause dramatic changes in a lure's action. With fly tying materials, their tendency to be softer or more brittle makes them problematic. Some of my flies, when hardened with epoxy, have proved excellent both with respect to swimming action and castability. Then when I go back and tie another one that seems identical, when fished it just goes haywire.
Nevertheless, it's fun experimenting with "swimming" flies.

I tied some flies with a lip for the articulated fly swap this year. I use a mono-loop coated with UV cure goo, and I've had a lot of success with those flies. The action is unbelievable, and it definitely gets big brown trout interested.

I have spent A LOT of time experimenting with this. My first attempts were not pretty. i'm confident that they were far uglier than the pictures jay348 posted. It was worthwhile though - these flies have become my first choice anytime I fish for big browns in central PA. Most of the 18"+ inch fish I've caught in the last year have eaten them.

Thanks for all the good info. I definitely wanna experiment with this some more...for freshwater fish as well. Might hit the shop today, so I'll post some pics if I wind up tying more.

Midnight, did you post a few pics of that fly? If its the one I'm picturing, it looked awesome. Either way I cant wait to see it with the other swap flies.

Yep, posted it in the swap thread:

DSC_0270.JPG

In honor of established streamer-naming conventions, we (myself and a fishing buddy of mine) decided to call it the "muff diver".

What do you use as the lip? Something you buy commercially?

This is how i do mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgD4hgW2TGM

midnight, thats the one! very nice, and the name cracked me up.

JJ, i used exo-flex, but the original calls for silicone. Never used silicone, but I feel like the textures gotta be similar.

Anyway, per sandfly's tip...I give you the last fly I tied before busting a screw in my vise.

6872755419_4993393168_b.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for sharing your secret!!

I bought a pack of those plastic lips and I only tried using them one time, on a foam surface minnow type thing I tied. The action wasnt that great, but it did take two dink largemouths. I havent messed with it since.

Three tips for this pattern: tie it in black and throw it at night, add an articulated second dressed hook (jointed bomber), or throw it on a sinking line with a slightly longer leader and fish it deep around structure (jerry, oyster bar, etc.). The line goes to the bottom, and the fly wobbles upward in an attempt to float all the silicone. I used to use this fly constantly, especially on calm nights. The only drawback is that it casts like a wet beach towel.

those are called fly lipps different stuff same result;

Attachments

• 7-7-2010 027.jpg
    7-7-2010 027.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 7-7-2010 031.jpg
    7-7-2010 031.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 7-7-2010 035.jpg
    7-7-2010 035.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
Back