Pontoons

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

Looking at getting a pontoon to do some river floats and streams that will allow it in western Pa. Places like the Yough come to mind.

I have a jon boat I take when I want to go with other people as it will hold 3 but when going by myself it's a pain to have to trailer to and from the watershed. And it's not something I can portage if I have to by myself.

I don't want to break the bank so I'm looking at starter toons leaning towards one of the Creek Company Pontoons. The first pontoon is about 100 bucks cheaper but doesn't have trolling motor mount, rod holder or pump and the shell isn't as durable (so it sounds). Like I said it's really about getting it on the cheap but if it's worth the extra hundred bucks I'll do that as well.

Anyone have any feedback or experience with these? Going through cabelas most likely as I have a hundred bucks in points to use towards the purchase.

Toon 1
Toon 2

There are a couple of us on here with pontoons that would be willing to advise.

Couple of questions...
Using it in a lake or river?
How often do you plan to use it?
How big of a guy are you? height / weight
Do you want a framed model or a frameless model?

Most of the one man boats are between 45 and 70 pounds so being able to portage isn't really an issue with any of the ones out there. I will say that you need to set your expectations low if you are looking those price points. I had a buddy w/ a Creek Co. boat and the cover tore on the first trip down the river. The nylon covers are light / fast drying but tear. If it's something you'd be using on a regular basis or want to get a couple of seasons out of the boat, you may want to put a little cash away and start looking in the 500-800 range. The boats are much better built. You should have bought the Outcast boat I had listed in the gear swap for $250... that thing was bullet proof. The higher priced models also come with real oar locks, alloy frames (no rust!!) and durable covers. It all depends what your needs are. I spent a fair amount on mine because I knew I'd use it for 10-12 float trips a year. Last thing I wanted to do was drag it to the bank and have to walk 4 miles to the take out so I could get my car.

I'd look at Outcast, Bucks Bags and NFO (aka Scadden) boats. You'll get much better life from your purchase.

I'll PM you some other stuff.

In all likelihood I would probably only get out on the boat a few times per year. These trips would consists of moving water for the most part. If I'm going to hit a lake I'll just take the jon, no paddling in that one.

I'm 6' and about 190 so I would imagine any would work for me.

I remember when you were selling yours but I just decided recently to start looking. I don't want to buy something that's junk but with a little guy due in weeks and my wife going back part time, disposable income will cut back a good bit.

Was leaning towards the Creek toons just because they're cheap and I'd get to see if I actually liked a pontoon of if I should go the fishing kayak route. I like the idea of a pontoon better though. Frame model is fine. Scadden makes a great boat but those are way out of my price range.

I think the nylon covers would help greatly in regards to durability. With your rewards to Cabelas you would get the LT for cheap. Just carry your pump and aquaseal.

I was with kray when his buddy's toon took a crap. It was not pretty, and duct tape had to be used extensively to get the boat to the ramp.

I 100% agree with andy on this one. Bide your time and get a nicer toon. You can probably find one used at around the price point of an inferior low end model.

If you're set on cheaply trying one out, finding someone to loan you one for a day or two would be the route I'd go.

When a cheap toon gives you a headache, I'd imagine it's a pretty severe one. Not worth the trouble imo.

I take it you sold that pontoon Kray? Cabelas carries those as well and my wife just gave me the OK but I just can't justify it...yet. The more I think about it the more I'll convince myself why I need one.

I really need to kill the http protocol on my laptop, the internet gets me in trouble, especially STP, MRFC and cabelas sales. You can go broke saving money that's for sure.

Thanks for the input, now I have more things to ponder.

Started with a creek country u boat,Sitts to low in the water,Went to a skeeter pontoon boat,loved it but seat to low,ores to long,Shortend oars,Raised seat not bad but(SLOW)Paddle butt off,Got kayak never looked back.Would not get rid of skeeter awsome fishing paltform.Had mouse chew one potoon got replacement.Covers did get a little chewed up on rocks but bome sort of sock to cover straps would be a good thing just dont know what kind of material to use and how to sew it.

go to www.sportsmanguide.com, there is a classic (delaware river model) on sale for under $150.00

Looking at your given choices, the LT model would be my pick. Cabelas has an outcast 10' too w/ standing platform for $675. Still in box. If possible, I'd hold out for a new or used fish cat. Durable and good resale if you don't like Pontoons.

Was that the Cabelas in Hamburg Kray?

The closest to me is the one near Wheeling WV. That would nice having the ability to stand in the boat if I wanted.

I'm still undecided which route I should go. The idea was to get one on the cheap but you're convincing me I would pony up and get something a little nicer.

I do want to have the ability to put a trolling motor on it and be able to carry a 45 lb battery to run it, which I'm not sure that the mesh of the fishcat will do.

Sandfly are those classic boats any better than the Creek boats? Nice price but will it hold up any longer?

Decisions decisions.

The boat that sandy posted is cheap in price and construction. The fishcat isn't mesh. It's heavy pvc material. 10' boat has platform to stand and will accept tolling motor. It's the cabelas in Hamburg. If you call them, the inventory in the cave is constantly changing. A few weeks ago, they had the 9' pac model for 600. Alloy frame and 50% off.

So when you upgraded which model did you go with? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm leaning more and more that direction so I just might have to save some bucks and hold out for a little while.

You've convinced me.

I started by looking at the $150 models but ended up finding a used 8' fishcat on ebay. The guy lived a mile from Cabelas. I went to Cabelas and confirmed that I was making a good choice then bought the used Outcast Fishcat 8. After a half dozen float on the Delaware, I was wishing I had something a little bigger / safer feeling. A guy passes me on a Scadden, I look at my buddy and said "that's what we need". I put a few bucks away over the winter and ended up ordering one. It's bigger, heavier but I'm very happy with the purchase. It can handle a trolling motor, has an anchor system that runs through the frame and has a standing platform. Quite happy. The new ones come with the bladderless pontoons which are very tough (lifetime warranty). I love to research on the internet and will be more than happy to do some looking around for you. I know of one or two places that may have some leftover boats at a really good price.

I appreciate the help. I'm always snooping around myself so now this will just give me something else to constantly research.

Scaddens are probably out my price range. I'm hoping to get a boat in the 500-600 range, preferable something like the one you talked about. 8-10'er with a standing platform would be great, but not absolutely vital. As long as it will be durable and hold a trolling motor with battery I won't nitpick.

Check your PM.

The boat that sandy posted is cheap in price and construction. The fishcat isn't mesh. It's heavy pvc material. 10' boat has platform to stand and will accept tolling motor. It's the cabelas in Hamburg. If you call them, the inventory in the cave is constantly changing. A few weeks ago, they had the 9' pac model for 600. Alloy frame and 50% off. I'll pm you some info.

I have a classic for 2 years now and its held up nicely. cheap in price, but does well for what I need it for..if you are not sure its your cup of tea don't go spending big bucks on one till you like it.

The fishcat isn't mesh. It's heavy pvc material.
either is the classic its pvc. the seat area is of mesh design and strong.. thats it, trust me mine runs stumps and tangles in local lakes and runs pine just fine..

Oh ya i have had my classic skeeter for over 10years,At least 100 miles of moving water and still floating and the koolest thing is when you get a nice fish on and it spins you like a top.Standing up is a nice feature but so is just being able to stand up and get out. In case of trees big rocks and snakes that just happen your way.I would not bother with a trolling motor,To much added weight(Battery).But remember when your out with your friends in canoes or kayaks you will be paddling your butt off.

Dear Student of the Stream,

I sent you a PM offering a Cabela's Fishcat Panther.

It's a nice boat, rugged, well built, made by Aire's Chinese affiliate.

Let me know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back