Pond fishing last week

B

boychick

I fished a couple of local farm ponds last week. When I fished the first pond, I decided to fish a mouse pattern for bass for the first time. I tried to land the mouse a few inches from the bank and swim it back with 1” strips to create a wake; I tried to mimic the speed I’ve seen rodents move as they swim.

I caught a bunch of bass in a two hour period, if I had to guess I would say 15+ fish, but I lost count. They ranged in size from small to medium, with two big fish (for this pond). The biggest fish came from casting the mouse near downed trees and other structure. No surprise here, as these are the best lies in the pond and I would expect the big alpha fish to be here anyway. I lost almost as many as I caught and I had a HUGE bass follow, but it didn’t commit. Those old and wise big guys didn’t get that big by being careless!

I caught one bass that I saw cruising the shoreline heading my way, I crouched down and plopped the mouse next the bank about one foot in front of the fish and began swimming it away from the fish. The fish took an instant interest, and sped up and followed from a moment before inhaling the mouse. The water exploded when the fish turned and I set the hook! The fish jumped, tail walked, and dove for the deep water, and it did everything it could to flee. It was not a small fish, but it fought like it was much bigger than it was. That fish was the most memorable of the day because of the sight casting and the fight it put on.

I fished the mouse the whole time until I lost it. I posted that story in another thread, but I’ll repeat it here. “A fish hit the mouse and the line went limp. When I reeled in to see what happened, the mouse was gone; the tippet broke below the knot! The knot held, but the small section of tippet that went through the hook eye broke.” That was a first for me; I’ve had flies break off at or above the knot, but never like this. When I lost the mouse I packed it in since I had fished the whole pond hard and I was out of time anyway.

A day or two later I headed to another pond that is within walking distance of my house. I wanted to fish, but the sky was turning black and I could hear thunder off in the distance. I was determined to squeeze in a few minutes of fishing before it stormed. I fished a popper dropper combo with a bead head hares ear. I managed to land several bass and panfish in the small window of time I had before it began to rain. I even caught a surprise perch. I headed out when the first drops of rain began to fall.

Attachments

• LM on mouse 1.JPG
    LM on mouse 1.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 15
  • LM on mouse close up.JPG
    LM on mouse close up.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Bull Gill popper dropper.JPG
    Bull Gill popper dropper.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Crappie popper dropper.JPG
    Crappie popper dropper.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 5
  • LM popper dropper.JPG
    LM popper dropper.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 4
  • LM Popper dropper 2.JPG
    LM Popper dropper 2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Surprise perch popper dropper.JPG
    Surprise perch popper dropper.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 4
Very cool. Have had lots of luck with bass on frogs, but no luck on mice yet. Might have to wait till August this year to try it, unfortunately, although I may steal away to my favorite pond this week if the opportunity arises.

i love perch. such great fighters and aggressive takers.

Nice i'm sad to say that I never caught a fish on a bass fly .

Fredrick,

I assume by "bass fly" you meant the popper. When I first started fishing for bass, I would take poppers and try them, I never caught anything right away so I changed flies. The result was never catching fish on the popper. When I finally decided I wanted to catch bass on the popper, the only flies I took with me were poppers. This forced me to find a way to catch fish on the popper or get skunked. Harry Murry's book "Fly Fishing Techniques for Smallmouth Bass" was very helpful too. Give it a try. It's great fun, and if you tie on a bead head nymph as a dropper you'll be catching blue gill as a bonus. I've also had some nice bass take the dropper.

OOPS darn auto-correct I was trying to say that I never caught a fish on a mouse fly . I have caught plenty on poppers I even have my own signature popper that I tie with cork. I don't own Harrys book but I do have his bass fishing dvd .

I see, poppers are great fun. THe mouse was really cool. I got a much better response that a regular popper.

I borrowed the book from the library first, and liked it so much I bought the DVD. The book and the DVD are the same content, but the video is better for the tecnique stuff.

Back