Pond Cleaning

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

As some of you know, I have a little pond less than a half acre that is full of eager brook trout. A guy that belonged at the cabin a long time ago put them in and they reproduced over the years. I was up yesterday to find the water totally clear, but covered with a mat of weeds and filled a good way up with silt/decayed leaves. I'm afraid with this fall killing the weeds and leaves falling in, it will fill the pond even more, freeze through, and kill the fish. Any suggestions on how to dig out the silt without draining the pond or killing all of the fish? It is fed by a spring that comes up under the pond, so it would take a long time to fill back up. Temps would still be good if I did drain it down a little, but I'm afraid we'll have to drain it all the way and let it dry, which won't be easy.

If it has a Spring feeding it, shouldn't it not freeze solid?

Wow. I guess you're right lol. I didn't even think about that. Well then new question, can brook trout withstand any kind of weed killer? I would like to get rid of the mats of weeds, because they are only getting worse

I used to help with a local trout nursery. They had some man made spring fed ponds that they used to grow trophy trout similar to what you are describing. They used wade once a year and pull out leaves from the bottom with a rake. A little time consuming but you would be surprised how effective it can be. Of course they wont work if you have a very deep pond.

Agreed on the rake.

We have a small pond on my family's property. We use a LONG handled rake to drag all the plants and **** off the top of the pond. The pond is in the middle of a field, so sediment/silt/dead leaves isnt an issues

.....grass carp will clear it up fast!!

Man wouldn't that be nice!

My concern about wading is that I think I'll sink pretty quick.. There is a boat that can hold quite a bit of weight, so I guess I'll try to rake some of it out.

Rake is way too go. Do not use weed killer anything that dies will just add to the sediment problem.

+1

And the decomposers will use a bunch of dissolved oxygen, potentially killing the trout.

You could use a two inch trash pump and a 15'x15' silt bag. You can get the bags online for under $100 and rent a pump. Problem will be moving the bag when it is full. Most two inch pumps can handle debris approaching golf ball size...The larger weeds will occasionally clog the impeller, but it is very easy and quick to take off the pump head cover and clean out the impeller. Raking will get out the weeds that are above the sediment in the bottom of the pond. The pump will take out both the sediment and the weeds.

I would say, being experienced with ponds that the weeds are keep the water purified, they suck up nutrients. If you need to rid the pond of the siltI'd call the Fish Commission Biologist from that region and talk to him about what to do.
Chances are like you said the silt will cause you to sink if you wade it, how much depends on what the bottom is like, and the amount of silt. It's spring fed I remember you saying that when you mentioned it before, so the springs likely keep it from freezing solid.
If you have electric at the camp, you can help keep the ice from forming by using a bubbler like many folks at lakes do to keep their docks from being damaged by ice.

Back