Poncho vs. rain jacket

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Since I usually have to fish around my busy schedule, I have to take what I can get. Lately that's been rainy day after rainy day. I have not tried a poncho while fishing yet, but I'm starting to think it might be better than a rain jacket. I've tried jacket worn on the inside of my waders and over top. I've tried my pack over the jacket and on very rainy days I've tried wearing my pack under my jacket. (my pack isn't fully waterproof) The jacket doesn't exactly fit over the pack. I cant zip it up. This is where I started thinking about a poncho. Seems like the wet pack problem is something we've all encountered. If you wear a vest, it's probably even more of an issue. A poncho would allow more room for gear and keep everything dry. Of course, there are waterproof packs but the ones I've researched look to have less features and are expensive. My question is why aren't ponchos more popular in the fly fishing world? Are there disadvantages?

I think casting might be the obvious issue. Your range of motion might be impeded; plus moving all of that plastic around may be annoying. It might not be too bad if you're Czech nymphing and lobbing nymphs.

I bought an oversized rain jacket. Frog Toggs is the brand I use cause they are inexpensive. They are not breathable so not so good in warmer conditions; however, they do greatly reduce wind chill on breezy days. My DownRiver chest pack goes on the inside of the rain jacket. The hood is not too great but I have a goretx hat with a brim.

I never tried poncho but think it would blow around too much.

I’ve fought with this issue too. When it’s warm out, say 65F or warmer, I’ve found I get wayyyy too hot in a rain jacket. And I’d rather just deal with being wet, and having a change of dry clothes in the car to ride home in.

When it’s say above 45F but below 65F, I just wear a generic, non-fishing specific, rain jacket. Tried wading jackets, but I liked a slightly longer jacket in terms of fit. I have a long torso, and wading specific jackets are pretty short usually.

Below 45F or so, I generally don’t fish in the rain. Once in a while if cabin fever is bad enough I guess.

My biggest gripe with fishing in the rain is my pack (LLBean Kennebec, original one, not the waterproof one) and its contents getting wet. It’ll withstand a light rain ok, but anything more and water starts to wick through the seems and zippers. Best solution I found was to buy a hiking backpack raincover that will fit your fishing pack. When it starts to rain hard enough, I just put that on my pack. Problem solved. Just keep it in my pack at all times. I like my pack, and same as the OP, I didn’t want to give up the features and bells and whistles that you have to compromise on with a waterproof pack. IMO waterproof packs are good at being waterproof, but not much else. I’d be ok with having one as a secondary pack for rainy days only, but wouldn’t want one for my primary pack. In any case, I’ve been happy with the hiking pack rain cover solution.

Last edited:
Rainy days often go hand in hand with windy days. Ponchos and wind don’t always go together very well.

I took a guy fishing one rainy, windy day who wore a poncho. By the middle of the morning he looked like a sail boat. By lunchtime his sail had begun to shred. By the middle of the afternoon he was soaking wet, and shivering cold. And miserable.

I took him fishing a couple times after that day. He never took a poncho

Good advice. The wind is something I didn't consider.

...." are there disadvantages...?"
The answer to this question, like many things is FF...is ONLY for u to decide.

In exactly as u described, u have tried multiple combinations...
understandably searching for " the one"
We r ALL members of THAT club.

For me, the Poncho, would drive me batty....waaaaay to big a profile.

My " rain day" approach...keep ONE Fly Box, that is your " Rain Day Box"
Keep it SUPER simple
Jacket over your waders.

Great advise in earlier posts here.

Again...the beauty of living in the USA....u get to decide.
Frequently, it simply a matter of time on the water.

I wear a lightweight breathable wading jacket in the rain and carry my pack (sling pack) over my rain jacket. My pack is not water proof, but I spray it with "Camp Dry" water repellent. My pack stays 90%+ dry even out in an all day rain. Liberally spray the entire surface and concentrate on the zipper material, which is where most of the water tends to penetrate. I suggest you test spray a small section of your pack or vest before applying to all surfaces. Also apply and let it hang outside or in your garage to dry and let the smell dissipate. A link to "Camp Dry" is posted below. I'm sure there are other products that may work as well. Good luck!

I agree with spraying Kiwi Camp dry on your pack. It will help with the waterproofing although it is a forever chemical . . .

I'm going to spray my pack tonight. Pretty sure I have a bottle of Kiwi. Thanks!

I hate wearing rain gear or jackets in general. In my quest to only tote the minimum, I'll only carry a proper rain jacket when there is a very good chance of rain.

My criteria for a jacket is it HAS to be big enough to easy fit over my Richardson Box or my shoulder bag, NOT have elastic on the sleeve ends and pack-up really small.

That typically eliminates fashionable expensive GORE-TEX, sport "wading jacket" options and usually breathability which doesn't bother me because I take it off as soon as the rain slows down or stops. In my case a cheap nylon rain jacket bought at the Army & Navy store in Whitehall has sufficed for well over 20 years, probably because I use it so infrequently.

What also helps me is an easliy attached and removable water proof cover I made for the top of my Richardson Box that keeps out the water. In a pinch I also have utilized the trash bags I carry to enclose my shoulder bag if it is raining really hard because I worry more about my gear getting wet than me...

Regardless of all of that, I have been carrying one of these with me at all times for decades. ;)

I've been carrying a waterproof pack for a few years now. Probably never go back to a regular pack. Good for the wading in too deep problem too.

Back