POCONOS PRIVATE FISHING CLUBS...

R

ryc72

in doing some light research on places to fish in the poconos i came across the names of some private fishing clubs...the stretch, graystones, pohoqualine. ive yet to fish any place in the poconos but with any luck i will be able to do so in a couple of weeks. i guess im just more curious than anything else as to what the experience is like to fish one of these places. has anyone ever fished them? is it materially different than the public water? guessing a little more solitude and less angling pressure? maybe bigger stocked fish?

Yo ry

In answer: yes, yes, yes - much more so, yes.

Some of the old clubs have a very aged demographic which ffishes very little. I've fished some that have stretches between the easy pools that have had absolutely no traffic, judging from the lack of wear on the streamside bushes.

Speaking as one who rarely fishes private club water, I can't offer much perspective and certainly not the Poconos, which isn't my backyard.

However, do be aware that private fishing clubs are a bit controversial and many of our regular readers on this website have a low opinion of private clubs (not everybody). Just an FYI if you're new to FFing and new to our web community.

With that said, your question is a fair and legitimate one and hopefully some folks with specific info will chime in. Keep an eye on your private message (PM) as many of our readers do not care to share specific information about fishing locations on open threads. Oftentimes, a polite inquiry will get you some good info about places to park etc, but this is often sent via PM.

Creamton would be a great club to join if you got the cash.

In my experience though, the poconos has a crap ton of great wild trout water. IMO it rivals the center of the state but gets little attention outside of the Delaware. Most public too!

If you are so inclined, I recommend spending your money on private access to lodges and then fish Thier water and the plethora of streams across the region.
My wife and I got married this year and stayed at the Sylvania tree farm. Had my own wild trout stream flowing next to my cabin and hot tub. Delaware River was a short walk away, Lackawaxen a short drive and about 50 lakes around me with great bass and pickerel populations. I also tend to find the panfish in the area are huge.

I did go fishing, I did catch fish, but I didn't have much time for fishing :lol: ;-)
Even still we had a wonderful stay. The people were great and the property/cabin was impressive. If you have a significant other I highly recommend it, even if you don't I still do!
We plan on going back this year. Though I doubt I'll have too much time for fishing again, but I ain't complaining!!!

I will do my best to help you. I grew up fishing the Dream Mile Club just to the west and north of Blakeslee, which is the intersection of Routes 940 and 115.

The R&G club owns 3.1 miles of the Tobyhanna Creek, and over 900 acres of land just north of the Rte. 940 on its way to the upper Lehigh River. The Lower Tobyhanna Club owns the rest of the water to the mouth of the Lehigh River above the Francis E. Walter Dam and impoundment.

My grandfather was one of the original investors/members buying the property. Back then, Blakeslee was a very small town. That has changed since then. Blakeslee is very much built up into a Pocono destination with skiing and racing.

Here is what I like about the club. I know that I am a very average fly fisherman at best. Clint Eastwood once said: "A man has got to know his limitations." I know them. I have gone on two fly fishing adventures with Squaretail and he never made me feel like I didn't belong. He is a much better fly fisherman than I am. I can catch fish there on unmatched to the hatch dry flies, and wooly buggers.

The trout are all stocked at the Dream Mile, but they don't all get caught and most of the club practices C&R. The stocked trout quickly acclimate from trout pellets from the hatchery to what is available to them. They also have to avoid the predators(osprey and otters). If they can survive the winter, they are an altogether different fighting fish.

One day I will be the member of this club, but I am in no hurry since I want my father to live a long life. When the day finally comes, I will probably spend most of my weekends there. I haven't even scratched the surface of all that water and land growing up, but want to explore all 3.1 miles of that stream and walk all 900 acres of that property. I am an animal track and skat kind of observer.

When I resume deer hunting, I am going to do it there.

In closing I want to address what I do and don't know private water and what is considered navigable/non-navigable. I'm not a lawyer and really don't know. I have read countless posts on this topic about the Little Juniata River and and an alumn at Juniata College so I know all of the frustrations about this topic. I have obviously been on both sides of the fence on what is and is not navigable water. I can see respect the arguments from both sides of the fence.

Since my username is Canoetripper(CT), you can imagine how many times I have dealt with angry landowners. Canoeing is my passion and I am never disrespectful, and am always considerate. I never litter whether on the river or anywhere else. I am an outdoorsman environmentalist.

I don't want any member of this message board to think that I am an elitist snob since the Dream Mile Club has always been a huge part of my fly fishing life. I will be glad to host other board members in the future. I want my aging father to live a very long life, and especially to be there to watch his granddaughter graduate from the University of North Carolina.

Post edit note: The water in the Tobyhanny Creek looks like ice tea from tanic acid.

Thank you all for the replies. Not trying to start anything controversial. Just more curious than anything else. Figure these places are like country clubs except instead of golf it's fishing. I keep imagining that all of the fish are huge and they are trained to jump on the hooks!

The poho has its on hatchery and they stock the sections for the members. A great stream to fish although the water was low all year this year. There are many streams in the poconos to fish and many with native fish. Also a lot of private land have not had a very hard time getting permission to fish if you ask nicely.

I have been a guest on the Henryville club with Ernie Schreibert along with another founding member Capt. George from solebury. Some of those fish were huge but also fed in some areas. Was always nice to go there but I never became a member.

Are there any private clubs that manage the waters for wild trout? I would be interested in that kind of club.

That is a very good question, but I don't know. I only have any experience at the Dream Mile on the Tobyhanna Creek. The water gets too warm in the summer and the club shuts down all fishing when that happens.

I have caught smallmouth bass there and have seen carp while fishing. I have caught native brookies in some of the feeder streams.

Stocked trout do holdover during the winter if they can survive ospreys and otters and are very different fish than when they were first stocked prior to opening day.

All of the holdover trout that I ever caught there were rainbows, and I haven't fished there since 2005.

My parents live in Aspen, CO and are too old and frail to travel anymore. I haven't skied since 1986. I would rather fish for wild trout in the Frying Pan River when I visit them. There are midge hatches all winter long and it is a lot of fun trying to catch trout during a snow storm. These are wild trout there and I always hire a guide.

I catch much bigger wild trout in Colorado than I do stocked trout at the Dream Mile Club in the western Poconos. I can totally understand one's disdain at the thought of fishing or hunting at a private R&G club.

I just have so many great boyhood memories fishing there with my grandfather. He bequeathed me both his Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod and Parker 20 gauge double barrel shotgun because he knew I would use them, and he loved that R&G club.

Wow. I didn't realize how many clubs there are! It seems like in the poconos alone there are at least 5 or 6 private clubs. And that's just there. Is it this common in the other areas as well? I'm so intrigued.

>>Wow. I didn't realize how many clubs there are! It seems like in the poconos alone there are at least 5 or 6 private clubs. And that's just there. Is it this common in the other areas as well? I'm so intrigued.>>

Commoditization and privatization of fishing access is on the increase everywhere that existing riparian access law is favorable to such arrangements. The practice has a much longer history and deeper roots in areas like the Poconos and Catskills due to their proximity to the east coast centers of commerce (with their generally higher levels of disposable income) and higher population densities (where crowding has been a problem for a long time..)

So, the short answer to the question is that, yes, privatization is becoming more common. The Pocono/Catskill region though is historic ground zero for this unfortunate trend.

Fox,

I know of 4 clubs on 4 creeks that do. All on classic limestone spring creek water. One club is very hated. All have ridiculous membership dues, all have waiting lists (as far as I remember, can be a good decade wait for the two I know of), 3 could be worth it if you have the cash and travel time(the other one is better in the public water), all 4 are not as good as the available public waters we have in the state as far as fishing.

I got to sample these sections through friends or landowner relationships. IMO a fisherman that fishes these exclusively might get solitude but wastes a ton of money. I can get that And more for the price of a fishing license and a drive.

With the direction the fishing community, and specifically fly fishing community is going with regard to conservation and wild fish, I'd imagine that most of these clubs will be a thing of the past in years to come. The only folks I know who belong to any type of club are older, and it doesn't sound like they have many youngsters filling their ranks.

I'm surprised there aren't private land owners that just stock their own section of water, manage the fish, and charge people a rod fee to fish their water. Given the number of private clubs and the number of people that have enjoyed fishing them seems like an opportunity for property owners that have a decent stretch of water.

There are. The thing is, you don't exactly advertise that in the newspaper unless you enjoy sitting on your porch with a shot gun.
So most of these turn into small fishing clubs. They are numerous but Steve touched on a good point. I can see many clubs dying out in 50 years. They have the same issues as TU for getting active members. Today's youth has little interest unless it's on an Xbox.

Yah. Im a newbie to the sport (but I grew up fishing saltwater) and I get the sense that fly fishing is dying even faster than fishing in general. I'm in my mid 40s and in my limited experience I've only met ffers older than me. That's not a good sign. It's funny how everything is a delicate balance...you need enough people to participate in the sport to keep it relevant, create a community of like minds, and to continue to have resources devoted to it but not so much such that it causes crowding/access issues.

I think that the membership at the Dream Mile is mostly older members, and since I don't mind walking, I have had complete solitude there, which I like. I love to observe wildlife and this place is pretty isolated in that there are no public roads that boarder the property's section of stream.

It is a good place to take a boy learning how to fly fish because there are plenty of places there where roll casting a woolybugger and stripping it in will catch trout.

Same thing with dry fly fishing. General attraction patterns like humpies, stimulators, adams, etc. will catch trout. I know that when I was a young boy and not catching trout, it didn't take very long before I was turning over rocks and logs looking for critters.

My grandfather always got impatient with my boyhood short attention span.

My grandfather used to take me to a dude ranch in northwestern Wyoming when I was a boy. I didn't know or care that a brook trout was a stocked fish. As long as I was catching them, I was having fun. I thought that a humpy was the greatest fly ever tied back than because the brook trout and cutthroat trout loved them in Wyoming's Sun Light Creek which flowed through the ranch's property.

ryc72 wrote:
Yah. Im a newbie to the sport (but I grew up fishing saltwater) and I get the sense that fly fishing is dying even faster than fishing in general. I'm in my mid 40s and in my limited experience I've only met ffers older than me. That's not a good sign. It's funny how everything is a delicate balance...you need enough people to participate in the sport to keep it relevant, create a community of like minds, and to continue to have resources devoted to it but not so much such that it causes crowding/access issues.

Is flyfishing dying?

The streams still seem pretty busy to me.

The streams may be busy but what is the average age of the people you see every year? Is the age getting higher or lower? There may be a lot of people now but how many people will there be in 10 or 20 years? Look at golf as a comparison. The average person playing golf is getting older and older and fewer and fewer people are playing. Definitely not signs of a growing sport.

Back