Poconos "guide"/meet up/recommendation?

C

CalBar

I will be up in the Poconos from June 12th to 17th this year. Will be just off the 209 in East Stroudsburg. I'd love to meet up with a local to do a bit of fishing or perhaps get a recommendation for a local guide for hire. We will be on Bushkill Creek but don't know much about the fishability of it. ANY and all information/offers would be most welcome.

Last edited:
If you're just looking for someone to hang out with, maybe you'll find a local here who is free. You don't need to hire anybody. Don't do that.

Bushkill fishes exceptionally well for stocked trout in June. The same goes for Brodhead and McMichael's. All have a ton of fish and a ton of public access.

If you want wild fish, there are opportunities nearby with a bit of research. Info is readily available if you dig around.

Stop at Minisink Hotel for a beer and lunch.

June in the Pocono's = Sulphurs.

Starty tying sulphurs now (16's). Head to Bhead about 2 hrs prior to sundown. Have a small cooler with ice cold beer. Sit on the bank with a beer in hand and wait for the risers/sulphurs. My favorite time of year.

What hooker and miller said. Plenty of access on Bh and McM. Don't neglect slate drakes on June evenings either. A little too far out to confirm plans but you can PM me closer to then and I would be happy to show you around for the price of an iced tea if I can get away for a few hours

June is a great month in the Poconos. Sulphurs are good on the Brodhead, but I actually prefer light Cahills. I use a size 12 Catskill dry in all white to fish once it gets dark and cant see the flies on the water as well. Second the slate drakes and in the evening it isn't a bad idea to have a slate drake spinner.

I have had good caddis hatches in the Bushkill at Resica Falls in the AM in June.

Wet flies and nymphs both fish well in June - the water levels and temps should be good.

And I second the Minisink Hotel. Can hike into the Brodhead Gorge from the parking area at the end of the road the Minisink Hotel is on.

Thanks for the tips guys. Please keep them coming. We are looking to move there (at least for a few months of the year), so I am excited to meet friends with similar interests rather than just hiring a guide. All of my flyfishing to date (save my trip last year to the Poconos) has been done in MT, ID and CA, so I definitively need to re-tool with new flies. Sure I have your basics, but not too many sulphers. (although the parachute Adams I have look a bit like a parachute sulpher).

June is a great month in the Poconos. Sulphurs are good on the Brodhead, but I actually prefer light Cahills. I use a size 12 Catskill dry in all white to fish once it gets dark and cant see the flies on the water as well. Second the slate drakes and in the evening it isn't a bad idea to have a slate drake spinner.

I have had good caddis hatches in the Bushkill at Resica Falls in the AM in June.

Wet flies and nymphs both fish well in June - the water levels and temps should be good.

And I second the Minisink Hotel. Can hike into the Brodhead Gorge from the parking area at the end of the road the Minisink Hotel is on.
last time I was up that way there was no longer parking at the end of that road. Posted. I hope that is not the case. Too many complaints from the neighbors.

Your PMD's and PED's should work for sulfurs if in the 16, 18 range.

If you are looking for a guide, Ben Turpin and his young protege Kevin have the Brodhead and other creeks dialed in. I have fished socially with Kevin who used to be active on here. PM me if you want his cell #.

also came here to say you should be tying sulphurs and waiting until just before dark. it's a thing of beauty when you time it right.

Calbar......

Brodhead update. I fished in town yesterday (7 June) from around 4-9 pm. It was overcast with light drizzle on/off. Water temperature low 60's. Perfect scenario for constant 5 hour hatch, right?

Well, it wasn't perfect but the fishing was good. Oddly enough, I saw very few sulphurs and minimal duns. Also, no other fisherman which is rare for Bhead lately which is the main reason I don't fish it as much. There were lots of spinners and during the 7-9 pm timeframe, most trout didn't care what I drifted over them as long as it was drifted properly. I used 5X but would have used 4X if I had it. Caddis and Sulphur dries worked best.

If you fish mornings, I'd have BWO's (14/16) and ants. I've come across some excellent flying ant "hatches" in June on the Brodhead.

I saw a palamino rise to a natural dun yesterday. First time ever. lol.

Fished BH also yesterday late morning- afternoon There were a few fishermen but not many. Did well with #16 perdigon in rusty brown, and in olive. Both had orange hot spots.

Saw no risers but fishing was good none the less. There was another fly fisherman who seemed to be having a good day also.

Texted with Calbar today. We are meeting up sunday.

Just wanted the give a shoutout and great thanks to Tigereye who very kindly volunteered to take this "out of towner" out fishing in the Poconos. And boy did he ever. We went to several of his best spots in two trips, and he proved to be a FANTASTIC guide! Representing the best of what this board is for. Fishing for the love of the art.

Thanks again. We'll see you same time next year.

Thank you Dave for the kind words. I had a great time and looking forward to fishing with you next year.

All the best and good luck in your house hunting quest.

Back