Pocono question blooming grove ?

M

mjones32

Having a few days in the poconos at lake wallenpaupack there is a nearby creek called blooming grove any one know it ? Worth a try ? Access ?

mjones32 wrote:
Having a few days in the poconos at lake wallenpaupack there is a nearby creek called blooming grove any one know it ? Worth a try ? Access ?

A huge portion of Blooming Grove is owned by a private club. I know of no access to it, but that doesn't mean there is none. Good luck.

Years ago, there was an access road to the river right on the property line of the Blooming Grove Club. The road at that time was public access.

Notes from my expedition.

Lackawaxen - large powerful creek and subject to rapid variation of flow due to hydro release, access poor. Gained access at 2 points, off Kimballs Rd nr Hawley and near Zane Grey museum courtesy of sports outfitter.on Rt 590 Chucked a large dry with 7 wt and caught a couple of big chub. Clearly much bigger subject than I had time to study.

Masthope creek - woodland creek, modest flow access from Masthop Plank rd in State Game Lands 613. Ideal tenkara creek , brookies on tenkara w dry fly.

Decker Creek - apparently stocked creek also off Kimballs Rd , Hawley. Low grade, low flow - did not bother fishing.

Lake Wallenpaupack. Fished off hotel dock popping a muddler - tons of sunnies and small smallies. No stripers !

Blooming Grove - no time to investigate

There is a road along the Lackawaxen R. that follows it from just above the mouth nearly all the way to Hawley. The power company does post the releases. Used to be no releases on weekends, but I think that's changed since they have been re-licensed. Should be on the PP&L web site you can find releases.
Fishing the evenings can be pretty good.

Lestrout is correct,but around 2005,I tried that access and got my arse chewed out for trespassing.I'm not sure the guy wasn't bluffing,but I apologized and left

I'm always surprised when I hear people say that access to the Lackawaxen is poor! At least on the lower half of the river (from Kimbles to Zane Grey) - access is very good. The biggest issue with the Lackawaxen is the power generation releases - during trout 'season', they don't generate over the weekends; however, since early June they've been blowing full bore 7 days a week. If you fish the lower section the tsunami usually doesn't hit until 10-11am. It's fishable even when they are generating, just have to VERY careful wading (I highly recommend a wading staff).

The generation schedule can be found here:
http://lakewallenpaupackhydro.com/lake-levels/

A few years ago I read that the hydro facility was undergoing relicensing, and that they would be making the flow regime more biologically friendly.

Looking at the USGS gauge at Rowland, the flow is cycling from 50 to 1000 cfs on a daily basis.

Did they change the flow regime AT ALL? If anyone knows the story, please fill us in.

Back