Pocono Brookies

salmo

salmo

I hope bot to spot burn, but I fished Devil's Hole yesterday. I figured it would have pretty good flows after the tropical storm. I was correct. The water temps remained around 62 all day. I fished up from the posted land just before the Game Lands. I believe I fished up a little over a mile. I did not see a single brookie. Should I be concerned or did I not fish far enough up? I fished the same stretch about 6 years ago and found natives then.

The lower stretch you were in is nearly all Browns, and is moody to fish. I'm sure there's an odd Brookie or two there, but I've only ever caught Browns below the series of impassable barriers. Above that it's all Brookies. It's a pretty clear dividing line, and not gradual as you move upstream like on most streams. You're probably talking 1.5-2 miles above the parking area to get to the Brookies. (It's obvious when you get there as you immediately start to catch nothing but Brookies, when you were catching nothing but Browns, or nothing at all more often it seems, before.)

Thanks. Next time I’ll head up past the falls to fish.

You guys are at an Indian Jones level. You fish your way 1.5 miles upstream through water you’d rather not fish only to get to dangerous cliffs and then an impassable area. If you survive this part of the journey then you get rewarded with catching lots of brookies. Then after you are exhausted and dehydrated you get to make the long journey back.

I’m sure there is a lot of satisfaction when you finish. Doing it while you are young is smart. Plus when you re-live after you get old, no one will care if you add 2” to those brookies.

You left out the bears, rattlesnakes, and ticks...but pretty much, yeah.

You guys are at an Indian Jones level. You fish your way 1.5 miles upstream through water you’d rather not fish only to get to dangerous cliffs and then an impassable area. If you survive this part of the journey then you get rewarded with catching lots of brookies. Then after you are exhausted and dehydrated you get to make the long journey back.

I’m sure there is a lot of satisfaction when you finish. Doing it while you are young is smart. Plus when you re-live after you get old, no one will care if you add 2” to those brookies.

So your point is? With an attitude like that they never would have built Stonehenge and hauled 25 ton stones from 155 miles away!

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”

My point is I’m a wimp compared to you guys. I caught brookies on Saturday but my biggest obstacle was a 50 yd hillside down to the creek.

Also sorry...I see I botched Indiana Jones. It was meant as a compliment.

Prospector wrote:
My point is I’m a wimp compared to you guys. I caught brookies on Saturday but my biggest obstacle was a 50 yd hillside down to the creek.

Also sorry...I see I botched Indiana Jones. It was meant as a compliment.

I got what you were saying, and did take it as a compliment. All good.

I got it too. My response was supposed to be snarky and funny. I was not being critical, thus my reference to the rocks at Stonehenge. We brookie chasers are very odd people. ;-) ;-)

Back