Poaching on the Yellow Breeches

A

alatt

This is the 3rd time I caught poachers in the “catch and release” area on the Yellow Breeches. Each time they were in the same spot, but different people. For those familiar with the breeches they go above the dam just below the culvert in the slow water. When the stream improvements were completed the shrubbery was removed in that spot making it easer to fish from the bank with a spinning rod and bait as they were using. Before the shrubbery was removed you had to wade in order to cast. These people do not own a pair of waders I’m sure. This is not to say the improvement project is not successful it looks great. Just a heads up when you fish there. One last thing they usually are there early in the morning 7am.

Definitely call a WCO. You can also tell the folks at the tackle shop, but I'm sure they hear it every day.
Last time I was there, the Children's Lake Dam and the big "cable tree" (between the road bridge and the dam outfall confluence) were the upstream boundaries for the C+R/Artificial Lures. It has always been common to see dirt-filled Styrofoam bait cups lying on the shore in that area - especially the spit of land between the two streams, even among all the green briar and wild rose.
I expect that the empty lake put even more of the baited treble hook crowd into the main creek. They like to fish overnight with their six packs and unauthorized campfires.

They (WCO) are aware, but they can't be there 24/7. Yes 6x I believe there is a lot going on at night.

I've said it a dozen times, add the phone numbers for the PFBC Regional Law Enforcement offices to your phone and while you are at it, do the same for the PA Game Commission if you fish on SGL's.

FWIW - I have on TWO occasions called the office for that region to rat somebody out for "chumming" bread on the Run and on both occasions the WCO showed up QUICKLY and nailed them...

...Man, how I love doing that!! :D

On one trip this year, I pulled at least half a dozen "y" sticks stuck in the bank and chucked them. A couple weeks before that I saw a large group of men walk downstream of us and set up on the bank. I wasn't close enough to see how they were fishing but have my suspicions.

Also, what's the water temp? I was there 10 days ago and it was borderline. I can't imagine it is not cooked now.

Water temp. mid to upper 60's. Fish early morning. Cooler weather expected next week highs upper 70"s, but bring your own water.

The so called "stream improvement to the Breeches has made it a lot easier to fish from the bank. They removed just about all the streamside vegetation. It is now just a pretty park! I see nothing good for catch and release since the work was completed.

Call PFBC law enforcement and give them all these details about where and when.

Poachers are often creatures of habit, going to the same places at the same times of day over and over. Which doesn't make sense, but poachers tend not to be geniuses.

Another trick I have used if there is too poor a signal to complete a call is to text the WCO, and leave your phone on if the text doesn't go right through. As you walk around, if the phone catches a bar or two, then it pumps the text out. A lot of the streams I fish are in valleys in remote places and the signal is often weak.

Call PFBC law enforcement and give them all these details about where and when.

Poachers are often creatures of habit, going to the same places at the same times of day over and over. Which doesn't make sense, but poachers tend not to be geniuses.
Dear Troutbert,

Few criminals are geniuses. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back