PM Suggestion

FlyGuyFromPa

FlyGuyFromPa

Would it be possible to create, or insert a script that gives users a popup menu when they receive a new pm? That, or possibly a menu in the "Home" "Forum" "Blog" "Photos" "Links" section is that would look something like this when a pm was received..

Inbox (1) assuming 1 means one new, unread message.

Merry Christmas Everyone! Happy Holidays to those of you who do not celebrate Christmas.

I'm not sure who this person is exactly, but I found this quote to be very intriguing.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after". –Thoreau

You should get to know Henry David Thoreau, read "Walden."

And the link on the right-hand side under "User Menu" will display when you have an unread PM like this:

Inbox(1)

Ahhh, I didn't see that. Sorry about that, and thanks for the insight on the inbox thing JackM. I don't really know who Henry David Thoreau is, but I saw that quote some time ago and found it really intriguing. I'll have to look into Walden. Merry Christmas!

Walden is his journal for "experimenting" by withdrawing from "society" and living in the semi-wilderness for a year or more, can't remember.

Anywhooo, it is a great read for anyone who loves the outdoors, liberty, self-reliance, protest, serenity, and I could go on and on. Next, read his Essay "Civil Disobedience."

Merry Christmas, if I can find a link. The copyright has surely expired.

Here:

http://thoreau.eserver.org/civil.html

http://thoreau.eserver.org/walden00.html

If'n you don't think you have time to read, I can yank a few provocative paragraphs out to whet your whistle.

Why did Thoreau live in the woods?
Thoreau Reader: Home - Walden
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The simple answer is that Henry wanted to write, and needed a quieter place than the Thoreau household to do this. And he did write both A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers and an early draft of Walden in his two years at the pond.

But in Walden's "Where I Lived, & What I Lived for," he describes an additional motive...

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Thoreau wanted to get the most from his life by determining what was really important, and he did that by removing himself somewhat from the normal life of Concord, Massachusetts in the 1840's.

One side of this was economic: he reduced his material needs by living simply, so that he would not have to spend much time supporting a lifestyle that he did not need or care about. The other side was spiritual, not unlike the spiritual retreats of eastern and western religions.

And it worked. Thoreau liked it so much that he lived in his cabin for more than two years, and came back with a great story. He worked on this story for several years after leaving the Pond, until it became the Walden we know today.

I'll get to reading asap. I love to read! Thanks for the bit of information you posted. Now I have material something to do in my down time/

I've been working my way through Walden and love the outdoors, but I find Thoreau to be a little arrogant in his rant on "Economy." To me it reads a little like a person of privilege providing commentary on what it's like to be poor. Maybe I'm missing the point, part of the back story, or perhaps I'm part of the problem as he sees it... Maybe the later chapters are better, but so far he just seems like a mooch that's extremely impressed with himself.

Back