playing with Farrar's blend

Fredrick

Fredrick

Anyone ever play around with Farrar's blend so far so good for me here is a pic of the first fly I tied .

6002661c.jpg

No, but I am going to now. Looks like a killer whitefish imitaiton, and I got 10" streamers on the brain.

Lower Bitterroot pike killer imo!

use all the time, i like to mix it with other materials. steve has some really good patterns for the beach..

Real nice tie Fred. Im gonna have pick some of this stuff up. Thanks for the info Sandfly.

Love Farrar's Blend and use it all the time for bass and salt patterns.

That's a great fly Fredrick. I like the saddle hackle underneath the translucent wing fibers - probably looks great in the water.

Nice fly Capt. The saddle IS a great idea under the SF material. I would bet it fishes well.

My experience with the SF Flash Blend is kinda different.
I think that the fly looks great, and I have tied them similar with the saddle inside the FB, but my experience FISHING the fly is that the materials don't work well together.
I have tried to mix in saddles, bunny strips, bucktail and other synthetics, and the results have been less than stellar (to my eye when the fly is in the water).
What is very impressive to me, are the flies that I have tied with just FB. They look great outa the water, but more importantly in the water. The flies that I have tied mixing materials may work just fine, but I have no confidence in them, therefor I don't fish them and have tossed them.
The flies that I have tied with just FB (multi colored and single colored) have caught many trout, LMB, SMB, Northerns, 3 Muskies, one land locked Striper, one Key's Bonefish, a ton of Bahamian Bonefish and one adult plus a dozen or so juvenile Tarpon.
The stuff is a great material, but the way that I have used it, FB doesn't mix well with other materials for me.

Thank you gutcutter for that helpful insight on the fishing aspects of the material.

Here is a Sand eel fly (bottom pic) that fishes well using saddle and a very small amount of SF material to give it some body and flash.

Link to source: http://www.matty-j.com/Fly%20body.htm

Attachments

• Matty J Sand eel.jpg
    Matty J Sand eel.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3
I like it might have to try some I tie the same fly but brad buzzi style with bucktail instead of the blend

Back