platypus plus water bottle?

k-bob

k-bob

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bottles-and-storage/plusbottle/product

anyone ever try one of these? saw them at eastern mtn sports... looks like a 1 litre bottle would fit in the larger inside pockets of my vest. would still be pretty flat with about 12-16 oz of "hike in" water, then I'd have bottles in back pockets for the trip back...

These are great. We ditched the nalgene bottles in favor of these when backpacking. When you are done with them they roll up nice and take up very little room unlike the bottle.

Thanks, after the heat of last summer, things that provide hydration and will help keep me cooler are on the top of my list. The footprint of their 1 liter bag fits nicely inside a pocket on the new vest I have... the one-litre platypus would be too fat all filled up, but it's pretty flat at 12-16oz

Attachments

• 8342564042_dbb08d67f1.jpg
    8342564042_dbb08d67f1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 3
I usually carry one small Nalgene bottle (while fishing and/or hiking), because I like flavored beverages and don't think that Gatorade or lemonade would do well in a Platypus, over the long run. But, when backpacking, all of my camp water is toted in Platypus containers. They roll up nicely when not in use - none of the bulkiness or wasted space of hard plastic bottles in the pack. My water filter has a large mouth Nalgene opening on it, but I found a company that makes an adapter for Platypus threads, so my hydration pieces are complete. Maybe the only downside is that you might get a slightly higher amount of insulation and hence cooler water with the hard plastic Nalgenes that is lost in the thinner plastic Platypus. And I was on one trip where my brother's Platypus failed catastrophically where the plastic threads are inserted into the plastic. However, Cascade Designs warranty and support are top notch and they took care of it.

My plan is to put 2 or 3 12 oz Gatorade bottles in the back pockets of my vest, and to have the platypus in the front pocket for ez access. I can imagine damaging the platypus, but I'd still have the Gatorade.

I've used platypus bottles for years. I especially like them for hunting when they are empty I fold them and stow them in the cargo pockets of my hunting pants. Prior to then they reside in the game pouch of my hunting vest. I've never had one fail but I've had them get yellow and gunky if I forget to clean them after use. A little Clorox bleach takes care of that. It's a great product.

Back