Planning a smallmouth vaca - any recommendations?

K

kbobb

Doesn't have to be fly fishing but hoping for somewhere East of the Miss. Probably looking at June timeframe.
Thanks

Maybe try the Susquehanna. I have not fished it a lot as it is an enormous river, but a lot of people say it's good for smallies. Other than that I don't really know of any other places that I recommend.

New River in WV, S. Fk. Shenandoah and N. Fk. Holston Rivers in VA, New River near NC/VA state line and Nolichucky River in Eastern TN/Western NC line.

Reactions: scs
Main stem of the Penobscot from Medway down to Old Town. There may be places with bigger SMB, but I've never run into as many fish as I did there. We had several 150 fish days between two guys. They averaged 12-14" and ran up to 17-18". One nice feature of this section of the Penobscot is that it is so wide and laced with so many islands that, usually, you don't need to do the 2-car float thing. You just launch, paddle around and fish and take out at the same place. If it's June, go as late in the month as you can though.

Michigan is something different. Big and Great Lakes have large smallmouth and the Traverse Bay area is scenic with wineries, good food etc. Charlovoix another nice town on Lkae Michigan. Lake Huron ports are overlooked IMHO. Maybe can stop at Ausable or Manistee for a little trout fishing in places different from PA. Medium sized rivers with sandy bottom and lots of weeds for dry fly fishing. Larger rivers on Upper Peninsular have good fishing in a more wilderness type environment. Maybe Henderson Harbor area on Lake Ontario. Great Lakes have good smallie fishing for larger fish (maybe best places to get a 4 - 5 lbs fish), but need a boat and to be comfortable with bigger water.

For numbers, the Delaware from Milford up to Calicoon has been good to me. All of Delaware is decent, but the upper part has better numbers in my experience.

+1 on Lake Ontario or eastern Ontario itself.

Went for a week for 25 years within 45 minutes of Thousand Islands bridge. 50-fish days average and up to 100 not out of the question. So many 4 and 5 pounders that it made fishing anything but the Susquehanna at prime time feel pointless. I basically got my bass fix for the year in 7 days each year.

I second the suggestion for Maine. The lakes and ponds of downeast Maine are just stupid with smallies. Most of the lakes and ponds around Ellsworth (Beech Hill Pond, George’s Pond, Graham Lake, just to name a few) are loaded. Plus you’re right on the doorstep of Acadia National Park. Hanging out there for a week then heading farther upstate to the bigger rivers would be an epic smallie trip.

For giants, Erie, Ontario, thousand islands. Finger lakes has some quality too.

On a fly rod type of fishing, Maine, Susky, New River.

You looking to spin, fly, combo? How important is scenery and solitude? Power boat, drift fishing or on foot?

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Maine sounds interesting. I prefer wade and canoe fishing - I don't have a motor boat. I've heard there is some tremendous brook trout fishing in Maine/Vermont also.

Both spin and fly fishing are good.

A visit to Acadia would also be wonderful. Greatly appreciated.

My in-laws lived in Eastern Maine and the bass fishing was good. Lot of lakes across the state have shallow sections where smallies are found along with some shallow ponds. Penobscot, Kennebec and lower reaches of other larger rivers are filled with smallmouth. One good thing about bass fishing in Maine is that it is trout country and bass are not appreciated by most (although that may be slowly changing). Therefore, most Maine fishermen will give up good bass fishing spots and help a visitor out but are extremely tight lipped about trout spots.

Susquehanna River from Windsor NY to Sayre PA. It has plenty of access, is easily wadeable, and easy to float with a canoe or a kayak. In mid to late June the smallmouth will be coming off the spawn and they are hungry and aggressive.

As an added bonus there are plenty of walleye and more than a few Northern Pike and Musky in that stretch. If the river has decent clarity, you can also sight fish for big carp.

I lived there for 11 years and don't think I ever had to fish past noon to be happy.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You after numbers, size?

Erie is nearly unmatchable for size. And numbers can be good too. Find the rock bottom areas off Northeast and drift minnow imitations deep and it can be pretty steady action on high teens, low 20's football shaped fish.

For rivers/streams, I'm PA centric but PA has a lot. If I was after numbers and trying to catch the little guys I could easily land 100+ on the schuylkill up from Port Clinton, but most are gonna be 6-10 inches and they'll more or less top out mid teens.

The Susquehanna aint what it used to be, but there are still places its good. And it was among the best smallie rivers in America.

All of the major rivers in PA have them.

I’ll throw a shout out again to Bryan Kelly and White Fly outfitters for a float trip out of Harpers Ferry. Also check with Ben John at Precision Fly Shop in Hagerstown, MD. Either will be able to hook you up with some bass.

Steve

Mossy Creek out of Harrisonburg Virginia has float trips for smallies on the Shenandoah, James, and Potomac rivers.

Rivers...Susquehanna. If you want the biggest smallies possible St Lawrence River, NY.

Second nymphwrist. I'll spot burn a bit here but its a big lake. Area around cape vincent has some great SMB action. Look for rocky humps in 10 to 15 ft water.

Also may hook into some nice pike and fresh water drum.

Fished there for 20 plus years. Yes 50 fish days were common as were 3-5 lb'rs .
Olive crayfish patterns or live bait( they call them crabs up there) and shiners.

Check season opener around that time too

Back