Places to fish/camp around the state

W

Wayne92

I am from york county and have mainly fished my local streams like yellow breeches. This year I want to start taking long weekend trips around the state and camping near big trout streams and fish the streams. It will mainly be just me but my father may accompany me sometimes and he is not a fly fishermen. I was looking for some advice on what streams to fish and where to camp. Anywhere in the state is fair game. Keep in mind the only two streams I have fished away from york are Penn's one time and kish a few times. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Here's 2 nice one's. Foster Joseph Sayers dam. aka- Blanchard dam. Howard Pa. Primitive camping with tents on Howard side and Trailers and rigs on the Blanchard side. Biggest stream is Bald Eagle, while mid size streams would be Spring, Fishing creeks. Very, very good fishing.

Being your father is not a fly guy, I would suggest Bald Eagle Creek at Milesburg Bridge, water plant 1 mile below Milesburg, Governor Mansion Bridge. Stop at Jim's for bait for your dad about 2 miles up road from dam. Close to state nursery. Pizza shop in Howard good, or better yet up over the mountain at Howard to a small town called Hublersburg. Take dad on a treat to the Hublersburg hotel. Great food, really nice place. Always makes the trip a success.

2. Little Pine State park, Waterville Pa. tents trailers. Little Pine a medium size while only a few miles away Big Pine. Big water and lot's of fishing. At little pine your dad can have fun at the spillway pipe hole. Caught lots of 20 plus in this hole. Happy Acres restaurant is right there. Waterville Hotel is 4 or 5 miles down rd. I have eaten at these places and it is very good indeed. But sometimes a $12.00 hamburger is off limit's and I go to Waterville at McConnels fly shop store and get a really good sub, or up from the dam maybe ten miles to Harpers pine creek bar and get a cheese steak and onion rings. Oh boy! what a treat. And naturally a cold one.

Never ever did I have a bad day at these 2 location's. Enjoy! enjoy!

Check out Petticoat Junction Campground in Cedar Run. Camp sites within a stones throw of Pine a Creek. There are no tackle restrictions.

Oil creek campground is a private, decent campground in in the NW.
Red Bridge campground in nice, right on a lake, state run.
Poe paddy is nice and secluded, state run and close to Penns.
Black Moshannon is nice as well with a lake and canoe/kayak rental.

The state run CG’s take reservations which I highly recommend. The campgrounds are not overly large so they tend to fully book. Also I’ve found there aren’t usually any fallback options nearby if you fail to reserve a site in advance. They can get busy but are pretty well policed so people tend to be on good behavior. They can be a bit pricey, fair warning. I have paid as much as $50/night to sleep in my truck, which makes me start looking for motel rooms instead....

Thanks for the advice guys I think I am going to start making my trips around the beginning of may is there any time of the year you recommend or would avoid? I think I may try little pine state park firsr or possibly bald eagle at milesburg since I am slightly familiar with that area having gone to a hunting cabin up there a few years ago.

Looks like that link is messed up, can you edit it? I would like to read it as well.

Sorry about the link. I'm not very techy.

In this same forum, just scroll down until you see the thread titled:

PA State Park with best trout fishing

troutbert wrote:

The link has been fixed in your original post.

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:

The link has been fixed in your original post.

Thank you.

My top choice would be Ole Bull Campground on Kettle Creek. Gives you reach to many great streams.

Troutbert has great advice. The Fishing in State Parks thread is spot on.

Also check out the Forum near the bottom. Named PA Fly Fishing Traveller. Also good info there.

Back