Pittsburgh area waters

J

JasonC

A buddy of mine is getting married in Pittsburgh in early March of 2019. Since I’ll be off all week from work, I was thinking of taking an extra day out there before the festivities and taking my gear. Anyone have some suggestions of where I should go? The wedding is at the Priory. I’ve only been to Pitt once before and am only familiar with the Strip district so I have no idea where the Priory is relative to the city’s layout. I’ll have a car with me so traveling won’t be a problem but I’d like to keep the travel time to no more than an hour to the stream if at all possible.

Neshannock creek has a keystone select section about an hour north of the city.

The Priory is on the North Side, right off I279. Google maps says about an hour to Volant.

JasonC wrote:
A buddy of mine is getting married in Pittsburgh in early March of 2019. Since I’ll be off all week from work, I was thinking of taking an extra day

Save your day off for May or June.

Yeah, streams close to pittsburgh will be tough in march - especially if we have a winter like this past one.
When I fish at that time of year, I drive 2-3 hours to the nearest limestone waters.
It's worth doing IMO, to have hatches and rising fish.

You can always drive to Erie for steelhead... about 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh.

If you don't want to fish, Cabin Fever is always in early March. It's a fly fishing show held by the local TU chapter. Typically takes place in Cranberry Twp (35 mins north of PIT).

Back