Pipe smokers

J

JohnPowers

Anyone still smoke a pipe on the stream. /

I use to, But I like cigars better, now that's all I smoke.

I've never smoked
But have had quite a few fishing buddies who smoked pipes along the stream with me.
Gotta say, they usually smell pretty good.
But still have no desire to try it

I smoke one.

That dang Lestrout got me started on them a few years ago.

I feel it makes me at least look like I know something about FFing when I'm on the stream.

Why do you ask about it in the "Gear Talk" forum?

Is there some new type of gizmo for pipe smokers? :)

I think you already know something about trout fishing. Nothing wrong with a good pipe smoke. I should buy dome tobacco and smoke but I really need to do it outdoors

I am not much of a smoker, but I have kind of tried them all. No cigarettes since 1982. They were too hard on my body. Shortly there after I stopper smoking marijuana.

It didn't get me high, it made me paranoid. Pipes are too much work. I really don't care for cigars but they are very effective bug repellants in the woods and on the stream.

I smoked a pipe for a while, but it got too fussy to keep it lit, dry and all of that stuff but I still have one in my extra gear bag for an occasional indulgence.

I like cigars much better because they are simpler, keep the bugs & bears away and **** more people off with the smell...

It's amazing to read old fishing magazines from the first half of the twentieth century and see how many pipe smoking anglers there were.

Dave_W wrote:
It's amazing to read old fishing magazines from the first half of the twentieth century and see how many pipe smoking anglers there were.

^ Not surprising.

My trout catch numbers skyrocketed when I started smoking a pipe on the stream.

I guess it attracts or excites the trout somehow.

And all the time I thought Lestrout was a great FF angler, when come to find out.....it was just the pipe! :lol:

Maybe those guys in the old magazines knew something about tobacco smoke keeping bugs away from their heads?

Last June I was in Coudy and the bugs were very bad. I never smoke (dad was a chain smoker), but I had a thought about tobacco smoke. So I stopped at a mini mart and bought the cheapest....mini cigar?...I could. It worked great! I'd puff, no inhale (Clinton jokes aside) for a minute, stop smoking, then fish relatively bug free for about 15 minutes.

My catch rate went way up because I could focus on fishing rather than swatting.

Yes and it keeps bugs away.

Never could get the hang of a pipe. But my favorite cigars are any Arturo Fuente Hemingway, Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794, and the Kentucky Fire Cured "Fat Molly". The tobacco of the KFC smells just like the pipe tobacco "Cut & Dry" that my dad smoked years ago.

I've got a buddy who smokes a pipe on the stream.

He says a bong is too much hassle...

Oops, double post...

Yup. I smoke one. I've recently relegated my pipe smoking to 'weekends only", but I have a modest collection of pipes and tobaccos.

LEON CHANDLER. PIPE DREAMS, PIPE COOL, PIPE IN HAND. NEVER FORGET, THE BEST OF BEST. GREAT, NO--------GREAT, GENERALLY MEANS I AM IDOL!

LEON CHANDLER-------PERFECT! HIGHEST GRADE OF GREAT! A MAN THAT GAVE ALL! LEON, GOT THE PIPE OUT, TAKE A CHAIR AND LISTEN UP! LEON, I WILL BE SEEING YOU, A LITTLE LATER, STILL WORKING ON ME TO BE "PERFECT;.

LEON, YEP, YOU ASKED AND I PROMISED! HISTORY, I TRIED, BUT NOT LEON. I TRIED GADDABOUT GADDIS, NOT GAD, I TRIED, GEORGE HARVEY, NOT GEORGE.

THEN I TRIED ME! HOW ABOUT THAT, IT ALL WORKED OUT AS ME.

WANTED TO BE LIKE THEM, FOUND OUT, THE FOLLOW WAS A COLD TRIP, WHAT I HAVE FOUND, WHA T I HAVE IS FOR A FEW, NICE TO BE SELECTIVE. INVITATIONS ONLY!

IT WILL BE WARM SOON, MAY, DREAM TIME FOR FLY FISHERS. I WILL HAVE BEEN THERE 20 TIMES BEFORE YOU START! MAYBE NOT FISHING, LOOKING, THINKING, REMEMBERING, EMBRACING LIFE, TALKING, HELPING, A FLY, A LEADER, A HANDSHAKE, A PROMISE, A TALE, A DOG WITH THE WORKS, A TOMMORROW, A SMOKE, A LINK, A PROMISE, A KEY, A NEW, 2 CENTS, A TRIP, A DRINK, A BURN , A TURN, AND A LONG DRIVE FOR A GOOD CHEESESTEAK!

M5 MOVE A LITTLE LEFT FOR M12! DON'T WORRY A HALO AND MOTHER MARY WITH FLOWERS WILL FOLLOW.

MAXIMA12

Several mentioned that a pipe is too much hassle. That’s why I used to smoke one on the stream. If ( when) I put a fish down I’d pull up a log, “hassle” with pipe and by the time I enjoyed a few puffs the trout would be working again.

Back