Pipe lighter

J

JohnPowers

I only smoke the pipe when I'm fishing......in the wind. What is the absolute wind defying pipe lighter. Well, when I'm caving a spoon or duck or maybe when I'm paddling the kayak to but that's it. Definitely not indoors.

The Nimrod is the classic answer; the truth is its completely useless in any wind. Looks good though, I own a modern version, and it was a fun party lighter for drunk idiots.

The Zippo is servicable, but you're going to taste alot of naphtha on the first few lights. YMMV on how you feel about that. They make a "pipe" version, but I don't think its really any better than a standard and probably counter productive in the wind, anyways.

The best answer is a butane jet lighter, commonly used for cigars. You need to be aware that it will easily eat away the bowl if you let it linger too long, but in wind its the most reliable way to light, period. My preference was a Colibri model, which I still use to light bowls with.

I had one of the zippo pipe style lighters and in the wind you might as well just use a match. Indoors I like the soft flame style lighters, but outdoors Gfen's suggestion on the butane jet is your best option. And if you pick up a couple of $9 Missouri meerschaums for the outdoors you don't need to worry about scorching the bowl.
Mike.

Butane is about the only thing that works in the wind. Zippos can work depending on how bad the wind is, but butane would work in more "extreme" conditions.

If you have a butane lighter, make sure you keep it warm. As it gets used up , the liquid will vaporize less when the temp is colder.

Back