pipe cleaners instead of chenille

YorkFlyGuy

YorkFlyGuy

Has anyone tried using pipe cleaners with a metal core instead of chenille for any flies? I have seen it at local craft stores and it always catches my eye like something that could be useful. They are nice and come in most colors you might use for a fly. I have not been brave enough to try to tie anything with it since I am pretty new to tying. Just curious to see if there are any more creative souls out there that could teach me a thing or two.

yea i looked at them too. my worry is that they will rust, even if not used, and ruin a nice tie or worse yet several others close to it.

Well, when I first started tying I thought I would be cheap and buy that instead of fly tying chenelle. I saw them in all kinds of colors including ones with patterns and stripes.

I found thatthe metal is hard to work with and doesn't really want to bend that tight to the hook. Not to mention it dulls the crap out of the scissors.

I even found and bought wireless chenelle from the craft store, but it's not the same and definately not worth the savings.

To me, there is a reason that the chenelle (and all other materials) that are sold in a fly shop are there -- because they work for the purpose of fly tying; even if not created for that purpose. The stuff in craft shops is there for a similar reason.

I've tied two buggers with white pipe cleaner about 3 months ago. Mkern is right. They are difficult to work with and the fuzz material falls out a bit. I'm going to try them later this season as an experiment. My guess is that they will rust so I'm keeping them seperate from my good buggers. I'll let you know the results. Fly shop chenille isn't that much more expensive anyways and you help your local shop to get by.

Yeah I have thought about that before too, but figured the wire would cause issues. Here is my list of things I buy at craft stores.

plastic beads
marabou
foam
found lead wire once
tinsel
flashbou (easter grass)
used some of my wife's yarn for SS, and egg patterns too.

I've tried pipe cleaners in an attempt to make some Jigs before I got into fly tying. Even with the larger diameter hooks and lead collar the pipe cleaners are too stiff to easily work. They do make a nice puffy spike look when they are done, but I don't think the "hairs" have much action.

ryguyfi
Thanks for the shopping list to look out for.

As for the other comments, thank you as well. I did not consider the rusting problem (bushwacker, let me know how it works out). I understand the importance of buying from the local fly shop, however, I do not know of any in southern York. I have gotten almost everything I have now from Gander Mountain. Supporting them is basically the opposite of supporting a local fly shop, other than proving there is a demand for them to carry what supplies they do.

Back