pink squirrel

BlkLgbEaDheAd09

BlkLgbEaDheAd09

i found this fly while i was searching the web for some new nymph ideas. http://www.hacklehead.com its called a pink squirrel, ive never heared of it before, didnt kno if anyone else has or has had luck fishing it here in the east. looks like a good stimulant nymph pattern.

That would be killer on spring creek.

And maybe at Erie.

I think I used to make those for the gals when I tended bar.

1 oz Creme de Noyaux Liqueur
1 tbsp White Creme de Cacao Liqueur
1 tbsp Light Cream
and oh yeah...Milk

How about a pink bunny?

ever taste one tom, uck sweet. gimme a bourbon please.

Only mixed those kind f drinks...never drank 'em. I don't even like kool-ade any more.

A co worker of mine said he puts Bailey's in his Mickey D's Shamrock Shakes lol.

Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your find. I think I'll give it a try! As for all the off topic replies that pretty normal round these parts on friday afternoons.

a friend of mine in wisconsin uses pink squirrels all the time.

haha n/p i probably would have done the same, i set myself up with the name of the fly. thanks for the welcome and the input lehigh, i already tied a few up myself and eager to get out and cast them.

They are a must-have in these parts:

http://www.couleeregiontu.org/Tips.html

A friend of mine from the midwest swears by the Pink Squirrel. He sent me some to try out. I really never gave them a chance so after reading this thread I sat down tonight to tie up a half dozen to try out this year. We'll see if they really work.
Ron

I've been fishing them for the last 5-6 years in WI and IA and have fished them some back home in PA.

In a nutshell, the PS is an excellent fly in limestones so long as they have a little bit of that spring creek murk to them, or alternately, if they are up a bit and just slightly out of whack color- wise.

Otherwise, unless you're fishing small brook trout water, they aren't really that effective of a fly in your garden variety clear PA freestone. They're (for a similar example) pretty much of a bust (IMO anyway) on the clear freestones of WI's Sand Counties, WI's other major region of high quality wild trout fisheries.

I don't know, but I'd imagine they would also work well on relatively new stocked DH fish, especially RT.

The Coulee TU link posted shows the fly being tied on a conventional nymph/wet fly hook. It's been my experience that PS's tied on a scud hook are quite a bit more effective.

It is a real good fly though, especially on the front end of a 2-fly rig with a smaller olive nymph or whatever trailing. Probably work well on Spring Creek or any PA limestone with the "murk".

When I first heard about these, I tied a bunch up but like the previous poster, found they were a bust in local freestoners. Never tried them on any spring creeks.

They are fun to tie, for sure!

Back