Pine Creek - Waterville

Berks

Berks

I’ll be staying in Waterville for a couple of days in mid-October and will be spending my time exploring the area and getting in as much fishing as possible. This will be my first time fishing Pine or its tribs. I’ll be wading and alone for most of it. I’ve started just some general research and it looks like Waterville is on the lower reaches of Pine’s prime trout water. Not even sure if it’s worth any time in that area or just travel upstream a bit.

I’m starting to put my fly box together for the trip and can really use some recommendations on what I should bring. So far I’ve seen slate drake, blue quill, BWO, and terrestrials depending on weather. Not sure if it’s worth it but I’ll be bringing the usual smallmouth bass flies just to mix up.

Any recommendations on flies, stream sections, tribs, restaurants etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Little Pine in Waterville is a good choice for that area. If you are set on Pine, you would be better off heading up to Slate Run and fishing "The Stretch".

Depending on how much rain we get is going to dictate what’s worth while. I live here. It’s been dry. Last night we got 2 inches of rain with more on the way. Lots can change between now and then. The delayed harvest above little pine lake can be good in mid October. More trout hold over there then one would think plus it gets a fall stocking first week of October. Big pine will be a bit more dicey depending on rain. As the previous poster said the catch and release section at Wolfe’s general store in slate run is best that time of year. Again this will be stocked by pfbc and the brown trout club by your trip date water levels temps permitting. There will also be a number of holdovers as well. One thing is for sure….it’s beautiful here that time of year! If you need any further help let me know.

If there is water, it'll be worth your time. Per the tribs, you don't need all them fancy flies. Big caddis (size 12, maybe even 10), orange stimulators, and maybe some PT nymphs is all you need. It's not a "match the hatch" game in the Fall-they'll be gorging prior to the spawn.

Little Pine in Waterville is a good choice for that area. If you are set on Pine, you would be better off heading up to Slate Run and fishing "The Stretch".
Thanks. Little Pine is on my list. I just wish I had more than two days.

Depending on how much rain we get is going to dictate what’s worth while. I live here. It’s been dry. Last night we got 2 inches of rain with more on the way. Lots can change between now and then. The delayed harvest above little pine lake can be good in mid October. More trout hold over there then one would think plus it gets a fall stocking first week of October. Big pine will be a bit more dicey depending on rain. As the previous poster said the catch and release section at Wolfe’s general store in slate run is best that time of year. Again this will be stocked by pfbc and the brown trout club by your trip date water levels temps permitting. There will also be a number of holdovers as well. One thing is for sure….it’s beautiful here that time of year! If you need any further help let me know.
Thanks. I’m hoping for more rain between now and then. I appreciate the info. I’ll have to check the fall stocking schedule. Fish or no fish, either way I’ll have a good time. I always wanted to just get out there and explore the public land.

If there is water, it'll be worth your time. Per the tribs, you don't need all them fancy flies. Big caddis (size 12, maybe even 10), orange stimulators, and maybe some PT nymphs is all you need. It's not a "match the hatch" game in the Fall-they'll be gorging prior to the spawn.
Thanks. Good to know. I’m no technician. Large caddis is my preference with my eyes anyway.

Pine Creek has smallmouth bass. Much of Pine Creek is pretty shallow. It's best to locate some deeper pools.

I’ll be staying in Waterville for a couple of days in mid-October and will be spending my time exploring the area and getting in as much fishing as possible. This will be my first time fishing Pine or its tribs. I’ll be wading and alone for most of it. I’ve started just some general research and it looks like Waterville is on the lower reaches of Pine’s prime trout water. Not even sure if it’s worth any time in that area or just travel upstream a bit.

I’m starting to put my fly box together for the trip and can really use some recommendations on what I should bring. So far I’ve seen slate drake, blue quill, BWO, and terrestrials depending on weather. Not sure if it’s worth it but I’ll be bringing the usual smallmouth bass flies just to mix up.

Any recommendations on flies, stream sections, tribs, restaurants etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Check the flow gauges on USGS before spending a lot of driving time up and down the canyon. Unless they have late-summer rain, I find the the big creek to be typically thin in October. There's usually some good water near Slate Run and you can check the report on the Slate Run Tackle Shop website. It's funny that while we stay in a camp in Cammal, the favorite water for my boys is the Little Pine above the lake (which enters Pine at Waterville).

I just got home from there today, there currently is some water and guys are fishing, but it’s been a very dry summer there as well. I didn’t fish but rode the rail trail that follows the river. They very recently got some rain that helped with flow but since I got there on Monday in Cedar Run the river had already lost about 4-5“ of water. There was some better water down near Little Pine as some of the small runs off the hills are still flowing. Also when I stopped by McConnels store in Waterville they had a posting on their bulletin board where Dcnr was asking people to conserve water in the area.

Last edited:
Back