Pine Creek trip planning???

R

RyanR

This stream & area has been on my "to do" list for a while now and I've just haven't made it happen yet. However, perusing some local websites, photo galleries and reading reports here has really stoked the fire to do a trip there sooner than later. I'd probably do a 3-4 day trip and if possible would like to float a part or parts of the Pine Creek with my McKenzie Drifter 2-man pontoon. I saw that PCO runs rafting trips thru the gorge and the stream is Class II & III rapids in some places. Anybody here ever float parts of it with a pontoon or know of folks that did? I know PCO offers shuttle service, anybody know if they will shuttle your own vehicle to the pullout spot?

Anybody ever tent camp up there? I saw two campgrounds listed on the Slate Run Tackle Shop site, Bit of Heaven Campground & Pettecoat Junction Campground. Anyone here stay at either one of these places, recommendations? Any tips or things in general I should know?

This just looks like one of the most beautiful, rural places in PA and the makings of a great flyfishing vacation. I'd either do the trip with my 73yr old Dad or one of my friends. Small chance I'd do it alone and then I'd probably just leave the pontoon at home and wade the whole time. I'd love to hear from folks here that have done multi-day trips to this area. Thanks.

144 looks and nothing? Really?

I had thought about replying but I haven't floated the area and am not familiar with camping options.

With respect to fishing, it is indeed paradise. I usually visit the Slate Run section but if you haven't seen the Grand Canyon, you definitely need to get up there.

Be aware that lower Pine - this would be the canyon and downstream - warms in the summer and usually by July trout fishing is pretty much over until autumn as fish pack up at the mouths of cold tribs (not sure about this year, with the rain and cooler water temps). If the river is warm, throw poppers for SMBs, it's a great bass river. And of course if Pine is warm, there are countless small wild trout streams.

If it were me, I'd try to do the trip in the fall. The foliage is everything you'd imagine and fishing is very good.

I've always done my fishing up there in the spring time.
During a typical summer, the stream is usually too low and warm for floating and trout fishing - in the canyon anyway
But this has hardly been a typical summer for sure. And it should be very floatable - at least in the near future anyway.
And I'm guessing might even still be holding trout.

I've camped at Petticote Junction. Nice campground in a good location, although below the canyon a bit
There is also a small campground in the middle of the canyon at Tiadaughton.

The canyon is a very scenic area for sure - although, I agree with fishidiot, that fall would be a better time to go there now

right now its prime for floating, high but not bad. starting at PCO you can do a 2 day down the canyon to either Blackwell or slate run, have them pic u up. bass and trout along with a few walleyes this time of year. I ran it till last year with the toon (Nucanoe now) the rapids are not that bad in my book. went through Owassee sideways with beeber2 last year. with all the rain and cooler weather pine has be excellent all year with great hatches. for camping stop at tiadaughton site its more remote than the others. you can call me at my shop for up to date info.

Thanks guys. I don't know if I'll get up there this fall but hoping to do some type of trip in the next year. I'm even starting to consider if I can maybe do some sort of a mid to late October cast & blast trout and grouse trip up there although that might be a big much for a first time visit.

Water temperatures are the only issue right now, but maybe with the rain they've had, it may not be.
Right now the flow at Cedar Run is 1140 cvs so it's a bit of a tough wade, but doable. Above the canyon there should be trout available. Through the canyon and below, it is dependent on the flows and temperatures. With the flow above 1000 cvs, the tributaries will be excellent.
There will be yellow sallys and terrestrials on the tribs, and most likely some Isonychias everywhere, but not in huge numbers. Tricos are sparse, so I wouldn't even look for them, but there are probably Ltl. Blue Quills in the mornings on most waters, and spinners in the evening. I may be going up during the next couple of weeks, so keep me posted.

I canoed from Blackwell (or maybe Ansonia) to Petticote Junction many years ago with some friends during Memorial Day weekend. I was not and am not an experienced canoeist, but we ran the rapids fine. The water was starting to get low, and a few places we bottomed out in the stream. You might struggle with a float in the fall (unless a hurricane blows through), but should not have any trouble in late spring or early summer if the rain falls.

Flow jumped to 1640 tonight with another T-storm. One Jam was at Petticoat Junction CG. I believe it was the second Jam. Plenty of water to float now.

Back