Pine and local area very high Where to fish?

F

Fenglass

Hello all,

Im headed up to my buddy's cabin near the Black Forest Inn on 44 this weekend.

We hunt/fish then go metal detecting, tons of fun.

Problem.. Big Pine very high as will be most creeks in local area? Where can I go fly fishing and maybe find something not to crazy high to wade in?

Thanks

Jesse

Look at the state forest maps and pick out small streams on public forest lands.

The small streams fish best when the big creeks are too high to fish.

You could try Kettle Creek at Olle Bolle State Park.

Fenglass wrote:
Hello all,

Im headed up to my buddy's cabin near the Black Forest Inn on 44 this weekend.

We hunt/fish then go metal detecting, tons of fun.

Problem.. Big Pine very high as will be most creeks in local area? Where can I go fly fishing and maybe find something not to crazy high to wade in?

Thanks

Jesse

Like Troutbert posted above, seek out headwater streams in the area which you are most likely to find lower flow and better fishing. Also his suggestion about finding streams on public land (State Forests, Parks, or Gamelands) is a good idea since access will not be in question.

Below I placed the link to the PFBC Trout Stream Map. It's a Google based topo map that shows all public land and all surveyed and stocked trout streams in the entire state. Zoom in on the area area around Lock Haven open up all layers and focus on the green and blue lines that flow through public land. The smaller headwater tribs flows will be more favorable than the lowland rivers and streams. As you can see, there that area his many wild trout streams close-by your friend's cabin.

You can turn on the satellite map feature and zoom in on roads and even find parking areas without driving there first. You can target streams and use Google maps to give you directions right to the parking area you choose and use the Google map feature to guide you to the location turn-by-turn as you drive.

I would select a couple of target locations and go out and give them a try.

Good luck on your trip!

http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=65a89f6592234019bdc5f095eaf5c6ac

Fenglass,
I'm heading to Kettle Creek tomorrow, just south of Ole Bull. I going to be doing what troutbert and Afish suggested. I'm also hoping the main streams come down a bit and see some hatches but I'm not counting on it. I'm bringing some glass with me as well, not Fenwick though ;) I'v also switched to tying some meaty streamers to dunk. Good Luck!

More rain coming down steadily across NCPA, the bigger streams such as Pine, Kettle, Allegheny River etc will be very high and dangerous to wade in most places especially with more rain predicted for the weekend. This does not mean that the streams are not fishable, you will just need to fish from shore or the very shallow areas and pick apart the edges. As suggested above many of the forested small mountain tributaries stay fairly clear and will still fish.

Just got back from 2 days fishing in NC PA.

The smallish freestone streams fished well for brookies with dry flies in the afternoons.

In the morning we didn't do well fishing these types of streams.

But one guy in our group fished one of the large stocked freestone streams with streamers in the morning and did well.

Back