Pilgrimage

raftman

raftman

"The greatest warriors are those who dangle a human for hours on a string, break sacred water for the profanity of air, then snap fiercely back into pearly molecules that describe fishness" - Joy Harjo, Poet Laureate

IMG8199.jpg

IMG8505.jpg

Every few years, I find myself returning to the north Maine woods to exist, even just for a few days, in the shadows of Katahdin and the murmur of the Penobscot. It is this mountain and this river that I seem to owe so much to. They have shaped my life's path more than most anything else.

IMG8445.jpg

I was first taken in by these woods and waters while I was working on the trail crew at Baxter State Park. I didn't do much fishing then; instead, I spent my time relentlessly exploring, expending all that 21-year-old energy into rafting down the class 5 rapids of the Crib Works and reaching every peak I could over our three day weekends after working four-tens building rock staircases up Katahdin and clearing twenty miles of blow-downs in a day. My knees never hurt, my skin grew immune to the hordes of black flies, my eyes were always looking beyond each false peak and around each river bend. I didn't take much time to study what I was rafting or hiking - too much to see up ahead.

IMG8389.jpg

Now I make a pilgrimage every couple of years not to push myself into deep unknowns, but to revisit certain trails and pools and to find those tiny mysteries that exist right in front of us. And to hopefully land some beautiful landlocked salmon and brook trout.

IMG8233.jpg

This year's journey was interesting. Maine has had a wicked wet spring, so everything seemed to be operating a few weeks behind. You can usually count on crazy caddis hatches the last week of June. Not this year. It seemed like every time caddis started to break out and cover the water, a storm would roll in. Even on the nights that the hatch happened, the salmon just didn't seemed to be honed in on them yet.

IMG8479.jpg

Though it didn't matter. I just had to adapt, and to try to survive the crazy swarms of black flies and mosquitoes (the bugs were incredibly bad this year, everyone said they were the worse in years). I managed to find quite a few salmon and quite a few new spots on the river to fish. I also got to be in the reaches of Katahdin, which itself is worth the 12 hour drive and the bugs.

IMG8482.jpg

Though this year was difficult fishing, it was still a great experience. I love to revisit some waters - it isn't about seeing the same thing, but about uncovering another mystery about a place you thought you knew. I may fish this same run I did last year, but when I look up, the clouds clipping across Katahdin have a notion I've never seen before and the salmon that just attacked my emerger takes me for a ride downstream that I'll never forget, his last jump over my head a fine farewell until I come back.

IMG8475.jpg

Nice story!

Yeah
Looks like they're getting a lot of rain up there too

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I loved the story.

Thanks Hunter! Really appreciate that.

Beautiful stuff man, glad you had a great time!

Thanks Hopback! Let's get out on the river soon...

That looked like an awesome trip. Did you happen to check out any smallmouth rivers while up there? That hat on the dash is pretty sweet also

Thanks! I did some smallie fishing after I left the north woods and got into some real beasts. Maine smallies are incredible and, I think, often overlooked for big brook trout and salmon...

Nice. Thought those were brown trout. Landlocks huh.

Good stuff raftman. I love the use of "a wicked wet spring." How "New England" of you! But seriously cool photos and story. I've never stepped foot in Maine.

Mos definitely landlocks, though if you've never seen them before, they can easily be mistaken for browns. The river I was fishing is predominately a landlocked salmon fishery, though you can get into the occasional brook trout.

Jfigz, Maine is special dude. You should definitely step some feet in there.

Will we be seeing you on Northwoods Law?

Thanks Brad!

Pennypack - not sure what Northwoods Law is... some kind of reality show?

What a great report and pictures, :)

North Woods Law is an American reality television series that debuted on March 11, 2012, on the Animal Planet channel. Originally set in Maine, the show followed numerous game wardens of the Maine Warden Service.

Back