Pike County Help

B

bfahy54

I am new here. My inlaws just got a house in the Masthope community this year. I see tons and tons of small streams as we are driving up that way this winter to ski. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to the area, and could point me in the right direction. Im pretty new to fly fishing as well. My brother and father love it, but I don't have much free time to go with them that often.
Thank you in advance
B

bfahy54 wrote:
I am new here. My inlaws just got a house in the Masthope community this year. I see tons and tons of small streams as we are driving up that way this winter to ski. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to the area, and could point me in the right direction. Im pretty new to fly fishing as well. My brother and father love it, but I don't have much free time to go with them that often.
Thank you in advance
B

The best place to start is the "Trout Stream Map" from the PFBC >

http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=65a89f6592234019bdc5f095eaf5c6ac

Click on the types of trout streams in the left hand menu (the explanation of each type of stream is detailed on the right) and zoom in on Pike County. The map will highlight the streams that are stocked (amber colored) as well as the wild trout streams (in blue and green).

The challenge will be finding areas not posted. PA Gamelands as well as state and local parks are also detailed on the map. That's a good place to start. There are plenty of streams to try your luck, although given the hot weather and low flows, take a thermometer to make sure the streams are not too warm to fish for trout (68*F / 20*C and over).

Good luck.

Welcome! Pretty sure the Delaware river is right near Masthope. Where are you coming from when visiting?

Coming from New York.
Will be there next the weekend of 7/17
We are close to the Delaware and the Lackawaxen.
I really want to try the small stream fishing rather than the big river fishing.

If we get a lot of rain that brings the water up, then fish the small streams.

If we don't get rain, the small streams will be low. They are not good fishing when the water is low.

So, your best option would be to fish the river for smallmouth bass. Canoeing and fishing the river is what I would do. You can rent canoes. The Delaware is a beautiful river.

I have read and saw on the maps the Masthope Creek.
This is a 5 minute drive from the house.
Anyone ever fished there before? I have hunted that game land, but never even noticed the creek.
Also, O'donnell Creek comes as a natural reproduction creek on the map, and is within the community. It says private access but the owners in the community are all very nice so I will ask for access.
There is also Westcolang creek, which runs out of the lake. This is one I have wanted to try, but doesn't show anything on the map.
Anyone familiar with any of these?

I can't help you with specific creek info, but this map (along with a stream thermometer) may help you determine if you should fish for trout in that area: Rainfall totals for the last 24 hours to 3 days – high resolution map

Keep in mind, rain generally percolates well in undeveloped areas. This means the first inch or two may not directly affect stream levels. There are no stream gauges in that area that would be good analogs to the creeks you mentioned. With the summer pattern we are in, it's a roll of the dice on what the streams will be like when you are there. Of course, if the streams look like they have decent flow and the temps are below 70, go for it!

Good luck!

Final thought: It seems by your OP that you will have opportunities to fish this area for some time to come. Many wild trout in headwaters and small creeks are just holding on this time of year due to low water and thermal stress. Big picture: you might condiser scouting and not fishing now so you can have better fishing later.

Back