Pig Boats

JerryC

JerryC

I tied up some updated versions of the Calcasieu Pig Boat yesterday. Hope to get a chance to fish them sometime this summer.

Attachments

• shad_150.jpg
    shad_150.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 6
  • shiner G 150.jpg
    shiner G 150.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 2
  • sunfish 150.jpg
    sunfish 150.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 4
That looks just like the jigs I fish for bass

or a spinner bait body. I fish these like streamers. I do plan to make a couple of crayfish ones as soon as I find my larger jig hooks. I didn't like the one I made with this batch. Still needs some work.

Attachments

• swimming crayfish 150.jpg
    swimming crayfish 150.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 5
I didn't like the one I made with this batch. Still needs some work.

I will agree with your assessment on the crayfish. I can see the "claws" but the body seems to chunky. I like your "legs" on the crayfish....that would seem to give a natural appearance of legs going with the "swim" motion.

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know....I'm just thinking out loud!!

Post your final one when you can.

Looks just like swimjigs. They will definitely catch fish!

Dang why have i never thought to tie up something like that for bass before.
You got my wheels turning. Thanks!

Steeltrap wrote:
I didn't like the one I made with this batch. Still needs some work.

I will agree with your assessment on the crayfish. I can see the "claws" but the body seems to chunky. I like your "legs" on the crayfish....that would seem to give a natural appearance of legs going with the "swim" motion.

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know....I'm just thinking out loud!!

Post your final one when you can.

I've made a couple before where I just used skirt layers(sili legs) that came out "thinner". This is the first time I used a full spinner bait skirt. I used saddle hackle and a wrap for the under body. Think I'll use sparkle chenille and smaller hackle on the next one and reverse the spinner bait skirt so it doesn't flair as much. I'll post when I get done.

salvelinusfontinalis on 2020/6/3 15:05:12

Dang why have i never thought to tie up something like that for bass before.
You got my wheels turning. Thanks!

The original pattern is 70 years old. I'd printed it off a now defunct warm water web site, probably 10 years ago, and forgot about until I was going through a folder of printouts of warm water flies two years ago. Every year I try and add a new pattern to my warm water box. Something I've never fished or haven't fished in a while.
So I added the Pig Boat. They caught bass so they've stayed in my box. And there are so many different spinner bait skirts out there.

What size are they Jerry? They look perfect for Big Perch and Largemouth.

Here is a video tying a version of the Pig Boat >

Plus a tutorial with another version >

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/022006fotw.php

Baron wrote:
What size are they Jerry? They look perfect for Big Perch and
Largemouth.

They're tied on 3/0 hooks, Baron. Might be a little bit big for perch. I have tied them in smaller sizes that would probably work for large perch. These were tied with largemouth and smallmouth in mind.

Baron wrote:
What size are they Jerry? They look perfect for Big Perch and
Largemouth.

They're tied on 3/0 hooks, Baron. Might be a little bit big for perch. I have tied them in smaller sizes that would probably work for large perch. These were tied with largemouth and smallmouth in mind.

afishinado wrote:
Here is a video tying a version of the Pig Boat
Nice video. A least he called them silicone skirts instead of "Sili Legs"
That's how I tie my smaller versions without the back part. Though tying in part of a skirt layer at the back might solve the claw problem on my crayfish patterns. The only other differences is I don't add weight, and rather than a stinger hook I use a long shank worm hook.
Thanks for posting it, afishinado.

Jerry thanks for getting my wheels turning- tied a few with creek smallies in mind. This one is on a jig hook, maybe a size 6 or so.

Main Thread: GSP
Collar Thread: Hot Orange UTC 6/0
Tail: Purple sili legs
Body: Grizzly saddle hackle and black UV polar chenille twisted together (see flyfishfood complex twist technique)
Skirt: Purple/Orange sili legs reverse tied
Eyes: Seaducer dragon eyes small

Have not tried them out yet, but tied a few others in brown/olive color scheme. Hopfully I can report back with some results.

Sorry guys rookie here can't seem to post a picture

Ok here we go.....

Attachments

• Pig Boat 1.JPG
    Pig Boat 1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 2
Attempt #2

Attachments

• Pig Boat 2.JPG
    Pig Boat 2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 2
Looks good. I have purple skirts and I have red skirts. At one time I know I had the purple with the red tip. Must have used them up on poppers. Still haven't found my large jig hooks.

These look like what guys were using on Weber River this week last year. But they were lightly weighted and tossed by a spinning rig. saw allot of nice browns come in on them. purple

Back