Photo Contest

Bruno

Bruno

Many of you all take some great Photo's. I thought you may want to take a peak at this.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07154/790562-37.stm

Photos of Alleghenies sought for contest
Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Alleghenies has launched an outdoor digital photo contest to highlight the scenery of the 1.8 million-acre region.

Visitors are encouraged to submit photos of the Alleghenies in various categories: hiking, cycling (on- or off-road), birding/nature viewing, fishing, boating, riding ATVs, motor touring and scenic landscapes.

The Alleghenies stretch over the Johnstown, Altoona, Raystown, Laurel Highlands, Bedford/Breezewood, McConnellsburg and State College regions.

Photos can be submitted through Oct. 21. Judges will select three finalists in each category, and then the contest will be open to online voting on Oct. 29. The top three vote getters will be announced on Dec. 10.

Details: www.thealleghenies.com or 1-800-458-3433.

So they are leaving out at least 3/4 of the Allegheny Plateau by confining a small section of Western PA. That doesn't seem right, if it is the Alleghenies it should be for all the Alleghenies. That includes the part that is in NE PA. They are also leaving out the northern tier.

Jack the geographic boundary of the Allegheny Mountains is the Allegheny Front, which encompasses the entire northern tier except for the Erie plain. It also includes the Poconos as the Poconos sit on top of the Allegheny Plateau. I saw their map and the map is just wrong.

The Allegheny Mountains and the Allegheny Plateau are distinct geological entities. Here is the most authoritative definition of the "Allegheny Mountains" I could find. It was linked at the bottom of the Wiki article:

Northeast-southwest trending mountain range on the Appalachian Plateau and partly in Monongahela and George Washington National Forests, extending from the West Branch Susquehanna River, in central Pennsylvania, southwestward through western Maryland and along the Virginia-West Virginia boundary to Peters Mountain 15 mi south-southwest of White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

Source Link to USGS Site

If you look on the right at that link, there is another link to "GNIS in Google Map." Go there and zoom out and you will see that plotted coordinates depict a similar boudary as show on the Wiki Map.

Stone_Fly,

I think you are confusing the Allegheny Mountains with the Appalachian Mountain Range. The Alleghenies are a part of the mountain range, just like the different drainage systems in the state.

Back