Phishing threat

P

poopdeck

I tried to respond to a personal message and my virus software (Webroot) indicated that this site contained an active phishing threat and recommended that I do not continue. Not sure if there is a threat in this area of the site or if Webroot is overly cautious. I will add that I have never seen that warning from webroot before so I am leaning towards it not being overly cautious.

Hi poopdeck,

Thank you for sharing and very glad you brought it to my attention. Can you please email (info@paflyfish.com) a screen shot of the notice. I take this very seriously and will need to investigate what it is they are suggesting.

I don't want everyone freaked out on the site. A phishing threat implies that a site is being used to lure, often thru emails, unsuspecting victims to provide personal information and most likely financial information that is later used be the bad guys. Some phishing emails or links can do other malicious things too.

Not sure what they have or why they would have suggested this, but Paflyfish has been a long trusted site. No email blasts have ever been sent out from this domain. We also clean up comments and spambots that leave any links that could be malicious too.

Webroot seems to offer a variety of services including a "Web Reputation Service" and "Real-Time Anti-Phishing Service". What kinda of annoys about this stuff is they are blacklisting the site, didn't send me a notice, but sell a service telling how ineffective blacklisting is, "static blacklists are ineffective against the ultra-dynamic nature of today’s attacks..." I now they a re reputable company, but no obvious way for me to challenge the situation.

Good opportunity for a tech safety message. As with any unusual email from trusted "looking" sources like your bank, credit card company, Fedex, or Nigerian Kings, you should not click-thru any links as cybercriminals can create malicious links in your email or bad links in websites too. Know what you are clicking!

Best I can figure out is that the service interprets the PM system on the site as the issue. Can't say why or what part.

As best as I can see everything is fine, Webroot does not know the CMS here and suggests it as a warning. Many virus protection programs do this with a better safe than sorry approach.

If anyone has any more info or feels otherwise please let me know as I would truly would never want put anyone in harms way.

Back