Pheasant Tail

R

Rickb326

The last fish I caught was a week ago on a blue winged olive. Since I have had zero luck with one. I ran in to a few guys that said that they were using pheasant tails. I have some, but have a few questions on how to fish them.
I tried one for a little while, but took it off because I wasn't real sure if I should be using split shot or not. Also I have been standing on the edge of the steam, casting upstream and letting them coast. Is there a better way?
Also since I wasn't using split shot my line seemed to have a major memory issue.
Last but not least the big question is whether or not to use a strike indicator.

If its not a bead head PT, you definately need a splitshot or two or three. Even if it is a bead head, split shot can help. Using an indicator depends on the situation. If the water is shallow your probably better off without one but if its deeper it can help. You generally want 1.5 x the depth of water between the fly and indicator. In my opinion, the best situation for the indicator is fishing up and across or across and down. Also adding just one more splitshot than you think is necessary will make all the difference in the world. Your pheasant tail nymph should be drifting right along the bottom bouncing off structure occasionally. Mend your line to keep your setup drifting naturally and you will catch fish. PT's are probably the most fish catching pattern ever concieved.

Beadhead Pheasant tail suspended under an indicator worked well on stockies Saturday.

+1 for adding more weight than you think you need. Don't get frustrated by hang ups.

It's my favorite fly. My next flystop order will have close to 10 doz. P-tails of various sizes. Use an indicator, not a thingamabobber.

Tiltaxp wrote:
It's my favorite fly. My next flystop order will have close to 10 doz. P-tails of various sizes. Use an indicator, not a thingamabobber.

Curious - why do you recommend against a thingamabobber?

I am not so much of a big fan of the thingamabobber's myself either.
I use the foam yellow sticky pads they work wonderfully from wal-mart. But everyone has there own opinion of different indicators. I first tied a pheasant tail nymph from this skykomish beginners book it looks nothing like what I see nowadays it looks horrible. Plus the tails were about 3/4 of an inch long. After looking at YouTube and listening to everyone's advice here I am certain the next PT I make will look spectacular (maybe).

OK here's a question for some of you long time fly tiers out there. I have been browsing you tube on these PT nymphs and have come across some different variations of this nymph. My question is that Is there are right way and a wrong way to tie these up or do they all pretty much work. My guess would be the pheasant tail body and tail, the peacock herl thorax with a pheasant tail wing-case and some pheasant tail legs. And an optional BH.

That's pretty much the traditional tie and it will work Ricky. Include a copper rib on the abdomen though or your fly is likely to fall apart after a fish or two. I have been tying more bead head PTs, especialy in smaller sizes, with just a collar of peacock ice dub and they are working well for me. Experimenting is part of what makes fly fishing so much fun.

My next flystop order will have close to 10 doz. P-tails of various sizes.

Just looked at flystop.com

$.55 - $.60 per fly :-D :-o

You think fly fishing is fun wait till you start tying your own flies and catch fish on what you tied. It's an awesome feeling.

So my question is why does the pheasant tail seem like such a more popular nymph to use than others, hare's ear as one example?

To my novice eyes I see similarities but was just curious as to why pheasant gets so much more discussion and play than the others

Stagger_Lee wrote:
So my question is why does the pheasant tail seem like such a more popular nymph to use than others, hare's ear as one example?

To my novice eyes I see similarities but was just curious as to why pheasant gets so much more discussion and play than the others

I'd say that traditionally the Hare's Ear has been a bit better known. But yes, in recent years, the PT does indeed seem to get more buzz. I'd surmise that part of the answer to this might be the design of the flies(?). Here in PA, we tend to fish smaller, sparser flies. The profile of the PT tends to be more narrow and sparse compared to the buggier HE with its flashy ribbing. My smaller nymphs - those under about #16 - tend to resemble PTs more than HEs.

Just a theory. Who knows really? They both catch fish.

These are a few i am tying up for a fellow member. This is the basic version i tie and have the most luck with. I do use an indicator and i am so far a fan of the thingamabobber. You can easily add small shot the the fly to get it down. The thicker nymphs are weighted as well.

A wise nymph fisherman told me if you arent getting hung up you arent fishing deep enough.

I agree with the statement that a beadhead pheasant tail under and indicator will pound stockies. I have caught more on that set up than when i fished minnow and waxworms as a bait fisherman.

This basic tie is my favorite because it is simple to tie and very effective in the spring. When you fish in the winter you may want to add some hen hackle for leggs and such. A flash back is another variation that seems to work.

I like to tie mine a little thinner and longer than most but that is jsut my personal preference.

I had a fellow fisherman tell me that the smaller PT's work for stockies in the spring because they resemble a pellet in size and color. Not my words but i can see some merit in his thought process.

Attachments

• bhptcaddis.jpg
    bhptcaddis.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2
I also like to switch up proportions on these guys and switch up the thorax color and material on ocasion. I am not a fan of adding the copper wire but if you do you will have a more durable fly and not have to take it off after 10 fish because the pheasant tail fibers are going everywhere (even though the garbage fly will still catch fish)

The basic is simply:
size 14 nymph hook
pheasant tail fibers for tail
pheasant tail fibers for body
pea **** thorax
pheasant tail wing case
bead head

Definetly my favorite fly patern and i will guarentee the basic will work.

Any of you guys who tie with the hen hackle any pointers? I have done this before but it was tough for me. I have also let the leftover body over hand and figure 8 some legs as well. Just looking to improve on some things. Thanks and i don't want to highjack the original post

Personally, I think the PT is a little darker in color and better represents a mayfly nymph.

Regarding the use, number, and size of shot, there are no universal rules. Depends on the depth and current speed, where you want it in the water column, how far away you're fishing it, and your casting mechanics.

I have fished unweighted PT's purposely in the surface film and been very successful. In ultra slow water, I've also used unweighted PT's and ticked the bottom with them. In heavy, fast, water, I've had to use up to 4 of the big bb sized shot that bait fishers use. Most use, of course, falls somewhere in between, 1-3 smallish shot.

I am generally a fan of no indicator at all if I can get away with it. But when needed, I endorse the thingamabobber.

Mike_Richardson

Those look nice. I think if I ever start tying my own flies, my wife will be convinced that I have become an official fishing geek

Yeah the wife knows I am a fishing geek. I woke up a half hour early to play with the stockies before going to work.

Back