PFBC WILDERNESS LIST

Swattie87

Swattie87

Anyone have a copy or a working link to it? Have something I want to look up and can't get to it on the new PFBC site currently.

Link to map of wilderness trout streams. HTH.

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=983

Here is the link for the interactive map as well as list for natural reproduction and class A, however I could not find the list for the wilderness streams on the PAFBC broken website.

http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/downloads-pa/viewdownload/22-pennsylvania/51-doc-pa-wilderness-streams-list as an alternate..

Thanks fellas. I was looking for some biomass data. Salmonoid's link got me what I needed.

A lot of people are complaining about the new PAFBC website but I think its now more aligned with their current ideals. Promote fishing on stocked waters and incentives to increase licenses sales.

They make it nearly impossible to find anything out about natural reproduction of trout in the state. It was difficult information to find before but now they cut a lot of it out and just hid the essentials out of the way.

HopBack - that is too funny. Up until about mid - may this year I didn't realize there was such a thing as self sustainable trout populations in PA. All the PAFBC promotes is the stocking schedule so I thought trout came from trucks. I guess the promotion materials worked. I have since been very enlightened.

LOL. I spent the first 25 some years of my life like that. Once I got into fly fishing, I started exploring and reading/researching more. Low and behold, there are infact both native and wild trout in PA. I thought it was just a myth. Its almost like the PFBC doesnt want that known.

I hope noone can find it on their site. That would be best for the stream and the fish. I hope they get rid of publishing the list altogether. It's sad what the internet has done to a LOT of wonderful places in this state. Maybe advertising the locations isn't such a great idea after all. You know these tend to be small streams with small trout and protecting them might include less angling pressure not more. (I'm sure zero people on this PAFF site agree with me on this.)

It's this all you need?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 5
fox, I'm on the same page as you. Or find a way to filter out the losers ;)

I wish they'd dump those stupid maps when you want a list you want a list not a map. I can find the streams, The map is next to useless.

I hope noone can find it on their site. That would be best for the stream and the fish.

^^^Short sighted.

Don't complain when the bulldozers come to your favorite stream and nobody is there to fight for it....

Anglers become more environmentally aware when they start fishing for wild trout. More likely to C&R, more likely to be concerned about water quality and other stream threats. You want more, not less, people to be fully aware of and concerned with wild trout.

pcray- The fly fishing industry thanks you for believing that stuff. When I arrive at the wild trout stream after it has been advertised and find trash and worm containers and nice fish gone I have my doubts.While the state designation may assist in some protection the listing and maps will most likely just result in degradation. In the real world all the increased usage/access/pressure with info, trails, GPS coordinates etc provided in the age of information rarely is good for nature. Next time you find a real sweet spot back in the woods be sure to tell EVERYONE.....see what happens.

Same old arguments, same people, neither side can admit that both have merit.

Boring.

My advice is print out the lists. That's what I do and I redo it every year or so.

Though I didn't this year.
Trout are for suckers!

The old site to me was always too busy, that doesn't mean it wasn't easy to find things you wanted to research, it was sensory overload. I only just found that the site was changed, so I don't know when that happened. I had to search to find the trout lists though. I've pretty much ignore the stocked streams except for a special few. So I depended on the lists. I thought I bookmarked the page, but when I went back to look it wasn't there. Now I have to search all over again.
A quick look at the Class A list shows they've eliminated the KG/HT column, that sucks. From the stand point pf knowing if a stream has had a downturn in population how are we to know? Another bad decision by PFBC.

The wilderness trout waters list is of questionable value. Look at the survey dates. By my count, 25 of the 105 streams listed were surveyed in the last 20 years. The rest of the surveys were over 20 years ago! You all know that a lot (good and bad) has happened to these and other streams since then.

It's been discussed to death on this forum, but the best tool to find wild trout is a rod. Go fish, explore, take lumps, have banner days, and have fun. It's FAR more rewarding than staring at a computer screen hoping for enlightenment.

There's just no substitute for getting on a stream and experiencing it first hand.

The old wilderness trout list had T_Alk on it. That was the most useful piece of information. As you mentioned, fish populations often fluctuate, so that data does little except to confirm the presence of wild trout at one time.

While there is no substitute for taking a rod for a walk on a stream, some of us have finite time to be on a stream, so using available information to help increase the chances of having a successful outing is beneficial. Nothing wrong with making informed decisions when it comes on trying to figure out which blue line to fish..

Fly-Swatter wrote:
The wilderness trout waters list is of questionable value. Look at the survey dates. By my count, 25 of the 105 streams listed were surveyed in the last 20 years. The rest of the surveys were over 20 years ago! You all know that a lot (good and bad) has happened to these and other streams since then.

It's been discussed to death on this forum, but the best tool to find wild trout is a rod. Go fish, explore, take lumps, have banner days, and have fun. It's FAR more rewarding than staring at a computer screen hoping for enlightenment.

There's just no substitute for getting on a stream and experiencing it first hand.
The streams are on the Wilderness because they meet very specific parameters regard water quality, most are EV streams; there has to be a certain distance of no bridges or roads; and there have to be trout in the streams of more than 2 age classes; that's about it. It doesn't matter to the program if they haven't been surveyed last year or 35 years ago.

Salmonoid, what's "T_Alk "?
Ah, nevermind... I think it's alkalinity..

Back