PFBC meeting Agenda

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
September 26-27, 2016

Agenda Items – Designations:
B. Proposed Additions to List of Class A Wild Trout Streams (J. Detar)
C. Classification of Wild Trout Streams: Proposed Additions and Revisions (J. Detar)
D. Designation of Pymatuning Reservoir as Panfish Enhancement under Section 65.11 (J. Detar)
E. Removal of Designation as Stocked Trout Waters Open to Year-round Fishing under Section 65.19 (J. Detar)
5 Agenda Items – Other Matters:
Discussion Items:
• Middle and Lower Susquehanna and Juniata River Smallmouth Bass Fishery Update & Catch and
Release Regulations. Saucon Creek Special Regulations (J. Detar)
• Lake Erie Fishery Update (C. Murray)
• Saucon Creek Trophy Trout Section Alternatives Analysis Update (A. Shiels)

http://fishandboat.com/minutes.htm if you want details on any of the agenda items.

Anyone attend these meetings and have knowledge of the discussion on the Saucon?

This was just released. No mention of Saucon though

Press release

Looks like they approved of everything else, which includes removing those 15 lakes from the Year-round ATW list.....so the opening day only folks got their way on that matter. That's a step back in regards to creating more fishing opportunities....

A TU member who was at the meeting sent me a run down of the discussion, which was long and heated. Apparently Squires was very upset the Mayor doesn't want the Regs changed, and wants to push forward even though the landowner (city) has no desire to pursue this. Andy Shiels presented two options for new regs, changing to all tackle, and creating a "kids" section that could be stocked by sportsmans clubs.

One othe important piece of info from the meeting is the fact that brook trout that were stocked by the PFBC were found to have gill lice. They were discover by biologists surveying a stream, and both stocked and wild brookies were infected. All the remaining brookies at the hatchery were distroyed.

ebroesicke wrote:
A TU member who was at the meeting sent me a run down of the discussion, which was long and heated. Apparently Squires was very upset the Mayor doesn't want the Regs changed, and wants to push forward even though the landowner (city) has no desire to pursue this. Andy Shiels presented two options for new regs, changing to all tackle, and creating a "kids" section that could be stocked by sportsmans clubs.

One othe important piece of info from the meeting is the fact that brook trout that were stocked by the PFBC were found to have gill lice. They were discover by biologists surveying a stream, and both stocked and wild brookies were infected. All the remaining brookies at the hatchery were distroyed.

Thanks for the update. I'll have to write another letter to the mayor thanking him for supporting wild trout and a great fishery destination.

PS, if they want to stock an area for children I suggest the kiddie pool in the park.

ebroesicke wrote:

Do you know which hatchery this was?

More supporting evidence for the position that stocking over wild brook trout should be ended.

Stocking over wild brook trout is still very widespread.

Aren't a majority of the brooks from the hatchery at Paradise?

krayfish2 wrote:
Aren't a majority of the brooks from the hatchery at Paradise?

Or did they come from a local private hatchery?

Some rulings from the meeting:

http://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=85

Most of the trout the Clubs stock come from PFBC, it's pretty much the overproduction of hatcheries. As to where the brookies come from I don't know which hatchery they came from, but if we knew what stream they were surveying we could find out. What's the big secret.
Is Arway still ED? Or is he retired?
Squires want to be ED when Arway leaves, and he wants to get rid of all special regulations. If anglers want to have good fishing he will set back all the changes during Arway's tenure.

ebroesicke wrote:

Has anyone found out:

1) Which hatchery was it?

2) Which stream it was?

This is a quote from a email I received. I don't have specifics yet

"the finding of gill lice in a co op nursery on all the brook trout here and they were not reported to the commission and some were stocked in several streams in the northwestern part of Centere County. This came to light as biologist were doing un assessed water work and found both stocked and wild brook trout infected. All the brookies were removed from the nursery and distroyed. "

Back