Perkiomen Valley Trout Unlimited Summer Picnic 2023

IMG 0361

I had a great time with the awesome folks from Perkiomen Valley Trout Unlimited (PVTU) last Saturday at Longacres Farm! It was exciting to see families, kids, and dedicated TU members all joining in the fun.

XT47763

Rick Nyles (PVTU/Sky Blue Outfitters) and Derek Eberly (Sky Blue Outfitters)

PVTU member, Rick Nyles, organized the day's activities, and the Sky Blue Outfitters Guide Team, including expert caster Derek Eberly, volunteered to teach casting techniques throughout the day. Also everyone had the pleasure of hearing from Dave Rothrock, of the Ranting Angler, who shared his knowledge on drop shot fishing techniques and led an entertaining entomology program right by the stream.

XT47761

XT47744

Dave Rothrock of the Ranting Angler

To raise funds for chapter projects, there were silent auctions and raffles with a great selection of prizes to choose from.

Let's talk about the food—it was simply exceptional! We were treated to a mouthwatering pig roast, accompanied by delicious salads, side dishes, and desserts. Kudos to Rick and other organizers for making sure we were well-fed and happy!

IMG 0373

Who doesn't love a good summer pig roast?

After the scrumptious lunch, Bryan Fulop, the Chapter President, provided us with important updates about the TU Chapter. It was great to hear about the progress being made.

IMG 0377

Bryan Fulop, Chapter President of PVTU

Mark Stanndard took the time to review past and upcoming stream restoration projects. Thanks to grants from various organizations and the support of chapter members, Hosensack Creek and the tributaries of the Perkiomen Creek are undergoing impressive transformations. I had the chance to witness the incredible work done with riparian buffers and stream enhancements. These initiatives, along with the presence of beautiful spring-influenced waters, have truly revitalized many streams in the area.

IMG 0384

Derek Eberly sharing some casting tips

I also had the pleasure of hearing from Jim Coffey, who leads the Trout in the Classroom (TIC) and conservation efforts. PVTU, in collaboration with the PA Fish and Boat Commons, has supported over eight TIC programs in local grade schools throughout the year. It's wonderful to see the dedication to education and conservation.

Overall, it was a fun-filled day catching up with old friends and making new ones within the PVTU community. This TU Chapter truly impressed me with their energy and commitment. I can't wait for the next event!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oregon_OwlII
Great write up about my former chapter. The stream buffer work started in 1997. The project(s) on Longacre's Farm (what a great cooperating landowner) have blossomed into extending the coldwater habita well below Route 100. The sycamore's lining the lower south bank were planted by kids from the Perkiomen School around 2006. They have grown considerably (they were saplings at the time) and are providing considerable shade and valuable leaf litter. Glad to see the chapter being stewarded so well. Rick Nyles put together a helluva program.

SkyBlue
It wasn't just me. it was the whole board and chapter members who made it happen. Thanks goes out to Mary Kuss for demonstrating her fly-tying techniques.
20230624 103552

Back