Perfection loop and dropper loop rigs

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I recently started using a perfection loop to add a second fly to my rig. The first pic shows the use of a dropper loop. Personally I think it's unnecessary to have the dropper loop to connect the perfection loop (see first pic). The second pic shows how I've been attaching a fly with some tippet and a perfection loop at the other end. I'm not sure if the knot is actually a perfection loop in the pic, but that is what I am using. You can add and remove a fly to your rig easily or have them pre-rigged for easy use on the stream. I've found that this technique does a great job holding the fly out at a 90 degree angle and causes less tangles than using a tag end off a blood knot, or using a tippet ring. The other advantage is using lighter tippet for your top fly, so you can have a heavier fly/heavier tippet as your bottom fly. This works well for adding midges that you may want to suspend higher in the water. Like I said, I just started using this technique so your thoughts and experiences are welcome!

Attachments

• dropper loop2.jpg
    dropper loop2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 103
  • dropper loop.jpg
    dropper loop.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 87
We dirty surf spin fisherman have used that dropper loop to attach a teaser ahead of the main plug for decades. The bass usually hit the fly too! I can tie those dropper loops in my sleep and often wondered if it would work for czech nymph rig or drop shotting.

I think it's a fairly common nymphing technique out west. Seemed to be the go to way to fish on the Truckee River.

Try tying a triple surgeons knot. Leave one of the tage ends much longer than the other. Thats how i attach my dropper when euro nymphing.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Try tying a triple surgeons knot. Leave one of the tage ends much longer than the other. Thats how i attach my dropper when euro nymphing.

The advantage of the loop-to-loop is to avoid doing exactly that. Fly changes do not rely on a permanent tag from one of your leader or tippet knots.

bigslackwater wrote:
Like I said, I just started using this technique so your thoughts and experiences are welcome!

The dropper loops work like a charm. Some people are going to be turned off by the doubled sections of mono so close to the fly, but I've not found them to affect the number of strikes or fish caught. The net affect is more takes.
I think that incorporating droppers into nymph rigs not only allows you to fish different levels in the water column more effectively, but also allows for better strike detection by way of drop shot style rigging.
At least 90% of my nymph rigging incorporates dropper loops. Running a nymph suspended at a set depth is really a game changer IMO. I'm starting to see more and more guys doing it and they all agree that it picks up fish they were missing before.
It's just another tool and if you're willing to put in the effort to learn it and spend the few extra minutes rigging your flies that way, it can pay off.

Will the loops slide up and down the tippet until they meet a knot? I'm referring to slackwaters illustration, I can imagine it stopping when it hits the knot but won't it also slide away the other direction?

You've essentially been lanyard hitching/parks heading .....seems like a good strategy but may not be as strong. Might put more stress on the line.

I like it, especially the part about being able to use lighter tippet on the dropper.

I usually just rig extra nymphs off a surgeon's knot dropper or tie off the bend of a previous fly. tying one overhand knot in the tag can help put it out at 90 degrees.

the holy grail for me is a dry-dropper rig with adjustable depth. Was thinking NZ indicator style or something like this. will have to try..

If you don't mind turning out surgeons knots whenever your dropper tag end gets too short, and can do so quickly in situ, then I agree with fisherboy. Actually, I have had no problems using a tippet ring as a 3-way swivel myself. The clinch knots keep each other in place, at least with 4x, so your dropper rarely twists with the main line. I personally will still give the dropper loops a shot with smaller tippet, just to see how that goes. Drop shot a midge or two? Yep.

Will the loops slide up and down the tippet until they meet a knot? I'm referring to slackwaters illustration, I can imagine it stopping when it hits the knot but won't it also slide away the other direction?

It will slide down the line and stops at a blood knot, like the illustration. You'll have to place your blood knots at the desired depth to get your fly to sit at the right position. I haven't hand any problem with it sliding up the leader.

Has anyone ever tied a perfection loop in the long end of a tag from a surgeon's (double or triple) knot? I think this would be easier for me then tying the dropper loop. Scanning the internet it seems like dropper loops sacrifice line strength unless you tie them Kiwi style.

dsmith1427 wrote:
Has anyone ever tied a perfection loop in the long end of a tag from a surgeon's (double or triple) knot? I think this would be easier for me then tying the dropper loop. Scanning the internet it seems like dropper loops sacrifice line strength unless you tie them Kiwi style.

The tricky part would be controlling the finished loop/tag size. I'm inclined to think that tying a perfection lop off the tag and then tying a second loop in the bit of tippet attached to the fly would make it difficult to have the flies attached closely to the main leader. When using dropper loops I often have my flies hanging at 3" or slightly less.

Not saying it couldn't work...

Easiest thing is to probably just use tippet rings. Lol.

I skip the dropper loop and the perfection loop and the tag end business. I simply tie a short piece (4") of mono to the main line using a simple clinch knot. This clinch is located above the tippet blood knot. The fly is tied to the end of this short dropper line with an ordinary clinch knot.

Losing enough slammer fish on the D River to frayed line and fatigued knots has taught me to test my knots and check the line on the business end of my rig all the time.

I find my tippet, dropper and knots on my flies get really beat up on the rocks when deep nymphing. If you're not flossing the rocks, you're not fishin'....the best you can, anyway.

The whole process of retying is really no big deal. Just pull out and clip a length of tippet and retie using a surgeons knot. It's only an overhand knot 3 times through and takes about 20 seconds to tie. I use the bottom tag as my dropper and retie my flies.

I find changing out the whole rig with fresh line with new knots is best and gives my confidence that I'm ready to rumble with any fish.

The looped dropper does come in handy to add a second fly to ride higher in the water column. But I still retie everything on the business end as above.

Fish your rig for a while and test all your knots on the flies and dropper as well the tippet line. You will be surprised how many times it breaks easily from damage or fatigue from fishing.

While that may be no big deal in small streams, not doing this when fishing in big trout water or for steelhead, will leave you sitting on the bank and shaking your head. I can't see travelling all those miles and working so hard to catch big fish and not be prepared for battle when the time actually comes.

Back