Perdigon Nymph

T

tctrout

The Perdigon nymph is a unique one that has the slender look of a buzzer, depending on how it's tied. It's a great fly to fish, though many steps to finish it to specs. I go through the complete process in my video and am interested to know how many others fish this, plus any variations of the pattern.

Thanks!

Tim[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkF4xR8g1y0[/youtube]

Cool fly and nice explanation. Thanks for sharing

Tied a bunch up over the winter, fearing they would nust be another dust collector in the box , tried them out Sunday on a stocked limestoner , and the wild trout preferred the Perdigon

They work great for getting down fast in broken water. Very effective fly. Probably work best with tight line tactics.

jkilroy wrote:
They work great for getting down fast in broken water. Very effective fly. Probably work best with tight line tactics.

I've only fished them with tight line method, and am curious how they work otherwise. In those situations, the Perdigon has always worked really well. Has anyone used it any other way?

tctrout wrote:
jkilroy wrote:

I've only fished them with tight line method, and am curious how they work otherwise. In those situations, the Perdigon has always worked really well. Has anyone used it any other way?

In my experience, the perdigon is as effective in non-tightline situations as well. I just use an appropriately weighted fly for the water. I use a size 18 perdigon with a 2mm tungsten bead as much as I do any other fly. It's definitely become a confidence fly for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 20
Nice Hardy e-setter. I have a zenith myself (10ft 3 wt) and absolutely LOVE it so far. I like that reel seat a little better - I have the "newer" wood reel seat" Is it sad I can label a rod by a photo of the reel seat?

I've been "euro nymphing" for under a year now, but I have EASILY had my most successful season so far. Ive been using mostly fancier jig patterns if you will - but maybe i have to sit down and tie a few of these and try em out. Any color combos seem to be at the top of the list?

cms829 wrote:
Nice Hardy e-setter. I have a zenith myself (10ft 3 wt) and absolutely LOVE it so far. I like that reel seat a little better - I have the "newer" wood reel seat" Is it sad I can label a rod by a photo of the reel seat?

I've been "euro nymphing" for under a year now, but I have EASILY had my most successful season so far. Ive been using mostly fancier jig patterns if you will - but maybe i have to sit down and tie a few of these and try em out. Any color combos seem to be at the top of the list?

I was surprised that you recognized it as a Zenith with only a portion of the reel seat showing. It is a great rod.

The olive fly in the pic is what I fish the most and probably second is a brown thread body. I use other flashier tinsel bodies in orange, purple and green as well, but for whatever reason, I typically go with the olive with orange hot spot the most. I doubt that it makes a big difference in most cases.

The success of the perdigon, and the zebra midge make me wonder if just a bead on a hook will work just as well as anything else

I seen e-setter likes an 18, anyone else have a favorite perdigon size? I fish em on a tag when I want to get deep tied on a 12 with a 14 body size. If I pick up a fish or two on it I'll switch down to something else as the tag and a smaller perdigon on the point as a 18 or 16. In the winter I fish em small 18-16.

Anyone else fish bigger perdigons? 12s?

Back