Penn's, Spring or BFC for a day trip

L

lycoflyfisher

If you were gonna take a weekday off work to fish Central Pa's finest for a day which creek would you fish and a general area of said creek.

Personally I love the canyon section of Spring Creek, you see lots of fish and although the trout can be picky some days I have always had productive days. I'd love to spend more time on Penns but just haven't made it happen over the years.

Penns.

I agree with penns, but for me it would depend on time of year, weather, flows, etc. In 3 week's to a month, penns may be low and warming up, so maybe bfc, spring, little j, or many others in the area could fish better. It's hard to beat the scenery on penns though.

I would go to BFC. I spent and evening fishing it last year (first time) and really enjoyed it, but haven't made it back yet.

None of those are a bad choice, however.

If the water temp and flow are good, I'd say penns. My next choice would be BFC. You can't go wrong with any of the choices though.

If conditions (flow/temp/clarity) were good, Penns would be my choice. It's a beautiful stream and it has an abundance of hatches and fish.

Big Fishing is nice too, and would be my second choice.

Spring has plenty of fish and they are often more easily caught, but the stream doesn't have the appeal of the two above.

I would add the Little J to the list of streams to consider fishing in the area. It too is really a great place to fish.

You really can't go wrong wetting a line in any of them.

Whichever stream you choose.....have a great trip!

Definitely Penns for me probably down around Cherry Run. Still trying to explore more areas on Penns. Not easy to catch fish on any of the streams but I think Penns has the biggest fish and the best hatches.

For an all day trip (where you plan to fish one stream all day anyway) I'll break the trend a little and say BFC. Just because I think it'll fish better over the course of a full day's fishing more often than Penns will. I like the Narrows section and up.

Penns is hot or cold, and is a bit of a gamble for an all day outing. We all know that. That being said, if I was just mainly targeting the evening rise, and not so such worried about how the rest of the day fished, then yeah, Penns. Though I've done it, I'm not a real fan of spending the entire day on Penns...I don't like fishing nymphs a whole lot, and chucking streamers all day makes for one tired puppy come hatch time. For Penns I prefer to fish something else for most of the day, then hit the stream around 5:00 so. For Penns, I prefer to go in at Poe Paddy, as it opens up the most options.

Spring doesn't have the setting of the other two, but generally fishes the most consistent of the group. Canyon section. FWIW.

I would fish the little j at daybreak with streamers. I mean when it's still dark out but enough to see. Large browns are more easily caught then.
I'd break at about 9-10am. Eat and head to small streams or spruce for a little side trip until about 2pm. I would finish out the day back on the little j until dark.

If you are stuck on the other 3.
Repeat above process but replace little j with Penns
And spruce with cherry run.

I'd say BFC, but I'd take sals advice about fishing with streamers 1st thing.

Back