Penns Levels

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

happy Saturday all!

With all of the recent rain, I was really hoping higher flows would be sustained on some of our rivers; however, this is not the case. I asked this question to my friends and got varying responses so I thought I’d ask in here. What is the lowest flow that you will fish Penns at?

The middle part of the state didn’t get the rain that the eastern third or so, and the SW corner did.

I was down in Penns at Poe Paddy today, though didn’t fish it. It’s lower than ideal, but there’s plenty of water in it if you want to fish it. Gauge is at 110 cfs FWIW.

The middle part of the state didn’t get the rain that the eastern third or so, and the SW corner did.

I was down in Penns today, though didn’t fish. It’s lower than ideal, but there’s plenty of water in it if you want to fish it.
I know other threads have covered this topic all summer, but it really stinks that central pa was missed with a lot of the larger storms this year. We just need vegetation to die down a bit plus one more good rain and I think flows will sustain themselves then!

I know other threads have covered this topic all summer, but it really stinks that central pa was missed with a lot of the larger storms this year. We just need vegetation to die down a bit plus one more good rain and I think flows will sustain themselves then!
Dear Schaefer,

One thing to consider is we are now in October. While the flows may be lower than ideal the water temperature is well within the comfort zone for trout. At least now you won't be unnecessarily stressing the fish if you decide to go.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I fished Penns yesterday at maybe 150cfs? It’s close to 100 today. I would say my cutoff is around 100. I’ve fished it lower than that and it wasn’t much fun. Lot of frog water below 100.

I agree with Tim - water temps certainly won't be an issue now
I've fished Penns many times in Oct when it was quite low.
And have done pretty well at times

The size of Penns provides many deep pools that still give the fish plenty of cover at low flows.
Sure - they're gonna be very spooky. And provide a real challenge
But being very stealthy can pay off well

Regulars on the central PA waters know there’s a few reliable deep runs and tail outs in each that will always hold fish- even at the skinniest of skinnies. Below 100 cfs for Penns and the LJ, these become a little more spread out (fall = hiking with a fly rod between honey holes) but I wouldn’t pass on fishing either just because they’re low.

Dear Schaefer,

One thing to consider is we are now in October. While the flows may be lower than ideal the water temperature is well within the comfort zone for trout. At least now you won't be unnecessarily stressing the fish if you decide to go.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Love the profile pic! I always get in my head because majority of my best days have been during higher waters with stained coloring and psyche myself out from driving the 2 hours for low flows. I need to remember the important thing that a day of fishing is a day of fishing and to be grateful I have the chance.

Regulars on the central PA waters know there’s a few reliable deep runs and tail outs in each that will always hold fish- even at the skinniest of skinnies. Below 100 cfs for Penns and the LJ, these become a little more spread out (fall = hiking with a fly rod between honey holes) but I wouldn’t pass on fishing either just because they’re low.
Oh for sure, I have fished Penns probably 50-60 times and have those areas mapped. I just hate the extended frog water/flat sections that low flows bring. As you mentioned though - fall hiking with a rod along the stream between honey holes isn't really a punishment! Thanks for the response.

IMO, on large streams, lower water makes for better dry fly fishing.
You just have to adjust your approach

IMO, on large streams, lower water makes for better dry fly fishing.
You just have to adjust your approach
I’ve had really great success dry fly fishing in low waters. In the fall I’m really really focused on nymphing and streamers, but I need to expand my capacity

Edit: Nice username!

Back