Penns creek

D

Daniel45

Hello. I normally always fish penns creek right in coburn when I go. Can anyone else tell me some other good pieces on Penns. I am gonna head out tomorrow. I normally come over mtn from beaver springs end by weikert

The best trout water on Penns is found from Coburn (confluence of Elk/Pine) downstream to Weikert. That's quite a fair bit of water. Access is fairly limited though.

You can access it at it's upper end at Coburn, as you know. A road parallels it for a while and dead-ends, but you can walk down from there.

Not far downstream, you can access it at Ingleby.

Downstream from there the next access is Poe Paddy. This is probably the most popular "middle" access point, and from here you can go up, down, or through the tunnel and cut off a mile or so of water. So this lot is often packed but you have to put it in perspective how much water it covers from the same access point.

Below there the next access is Cherry Run, and you can walk up from there.

Below Cherry Run, the road generally follows it to Weikert.

I'd normally tell you Poe Paddy is the best way to access that middle section. However, from your direction it's awfully convoluted to get to Poe (feel free to navigate miles and miles of dirt if you wish). That said, Cherry Run isn't a bad option for you, I like it better than the water at Coburn, honestly. Park and walk upstream. There's a whole lot of upstream!

Thank you very much for your reply. That helps me a lot. I can go either way. I can go up to burnham head over through milroy and up to Poe valley to Poe paddy. I never fished that stretch much. I am gonna give it a try thanks a lot for your help

Well, a common day for me is to park at Poe, walk through the tunnel down to Cherry Run, and fish my way back. You obviously can do the same from the Cherry Run side as well.

Sometimes I walk through the tunnel and then fish UP back to the car.

And quite often I go upstream, which brings you into the same water as those fishing down from Coburn.

It's Penns Creek. It's all good water. Long heavy riffs, followed by LOOONGGGG slow pools. Miles and miles of water, but when thinking in terms of "2 pools up", hehe, it really isn't all that much!

Get the Bald Eagle State Forest map, which is free.

Find their phone number by Googling and call them. They'll mail you the map.

Since it it the Christmas season I'll give you a nice location on Penns. Just don't tell troutbert.
BTW is the tunnel open? I thought I heard it was closed due to some leakage?

Attachments

• penns.jpg
    penns.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3
franklin wrote:
Since it it the Christmas season I'll give you a nice location on Penns. Just don't tell troutbert.
BTW is the tunnel open? I thought I heard it was closed due to some leakage?

Thanks for burning my spot Franklin. :lol: When I was last there in October the tunnel at Poe Paddy remained officially closed however there were minimal barricades on either side. I went through it (quickly as always). I believe the reason for the closure was some falling rock. Each time I've been through it since it closed it looked no different than the last time.

Somewhere along Old Mingle trail is a nice Orvis rod with a Ross real. If you find it it's yours.

One February I was fishing down there. Air temp was about 25 and the water 34. I slipped on a rock and took some water down the waders. Went back to the truck to take the chill off. In my hast I put the rod on top the roof bars. After twenty minutes of warming up I headed out. Didn't remember the rod until I was out of Cherry Run road. Went back and forth along there but never found the rod.

One of my lessons learned the hard way. Winter fishing can be dangerous.

Wow. That would suck. I fished the cherry run section today for about four hours. Caught 8. All mostly on a orange egg pattern. One on a Brown stonefly. Thank you all for the help

Back