Penns Creek Rainbows

albud1962

albud1962

Over the last couple of years i have caught a number of rainbows during the fall. These fish looked very wild but i cant say with certainty they were. I didnt realize that rainbows were in Penns in respectable numbers. On a couple trips i have caught more rainbows than browns. I imagine with all the stocked streams in the area flowing to Penns, quite a few rainbows end up in the main stem.Anyone else with similar obsevations?

Were you catching them near the mouth of Elk?

Albud, I've caught quite a few on the downstream end of Poe Paddy. From the looks of them, they were stockies. Maybe from a club?

I too have caught plenty of rainbows down below Poe Paddy, and yes, back in the spring they looked like stocked fish.

Possible it's from a club, but more likely moved down from above Coburn (where it's stocked by the state) or moved up from Weikert (where it's stocked by the state).

Fish move, often miles and miles. Especially in bigger water like Penns.

Bow fingerlings are stocked every year in penns. centre county-section 2 "Sr0045 --downstream to-- Confl Elk Ck"

Besides the fingerlings posted above-Adult Trout rainbows only are also stocked in the same section 2.

Adult Trout Browns and Bows are stocked in
Section 5 - 500M DNSTRM CHERRY RN to T302 BRIDGE IN WEIKERT
Section 6 - T302 BRIDGE IN WEIKERT to SR0235 BRIDGE IN GLEN IRON

Weikart sportsman club stocks trout but not up that high.

what section were you fishing...I Have caught them from the fish commission cabin up into the island section of the fly stretch above cherry run

And I've caught them through the tunnel at Poe, as well as near the campground, and upstream at the old Bridge hole. As well as downstream from Coburn.

They are throughout. Not a ton of them. But a few the whole way from Coburn down to Cherry Run (and a lot above Coburn and below Cherry Run, for obvious reasons).

I've never been convinced of a wild population of bows in Penns. It's just a few travelers. But they are there.

There is more then just a few travelers. There are big bows put in by a land owner on Pine Creek that drift down a couple big ones have been caught below the confluence hole of Elk and Penns.

Above Poe paddy the rail trail to the old tressle

By a few, I mean they are roughly 1 in 20 of my catch, or so. Though probably more likely to be caught than a brown. Spend a weekend there and there's a good chance you get one.

Have always been a few stocked brookies down there too. Likely from Big Poe.

I fish Penns 2-4 times a week and haven't caught one since april on a march brown dry.

A friend of mine fished to a 20+inch Golden Trout in Mid-May, we were shocked to see it. This was below Poe-Paddy.

I recall catching one rainbow on Penns several years ago. It was probably around 16". Was disappointed when I saw it was a 'bow. They have no place on Penns.

I've caught rainbows in the lower Penns watershed fishing for Smallmouths in the early Fall season.

mcSneek I agree

We've caught a decent number in the riffles above Poe Paddy up to the bridge to the tunnel.

I think most of them push up from the Weikert area as the stream warms. Caught very few around Ingleby and increasingly more moving south.

Maybe 10 years ago I caught a large rainbow in Weikert Run. Surprised me and my three weight to say the least.

Back