Penns Creek Help

mr7183

mr7183

Hi all, I rented a cabin on Penns for Thursday to Sunday and have a few questions:

1. I know Penn's is quick to react to rain. Given the forecast, think it will get blown out? I'm incredibly bummed out about the forecast tonight... one freaking night of rain might ruin catching the drakes for us.

2. If it does what streams do you recommend in the area? We are staying at Bruce Fisher's place (Penns Creek Angler) in Weikert.

3. I went to Bucknell and fished Penns C&R area a bunch of times. After you park in the C&R lot, I've only fished the mile or so of water between the lot and that cabin building on the trail. Where is the trail after that cabin? I tried to find it a few times but couldn't.

Its almost impossible to predict If Penn's will get blown out, or any stream for that matter. Its localized thunderstorm type rain that is hit or miss. If it is blown, check the gauge for Spring, use a rainfall map to see if Fishing creek got hit as bad as Penns, or fish brookie streams in the area. I can think of a few within 30 mins of Weikert.
As for the trail on the C&R, it splits about 1/2-3/4 mile from the lot. the left branch of the trail takes you down to the stream where the cabin is, and the right branch takes you further upstream.

3) - That trail - actually an old RR grade - keeps going up stream to poe paddy and beyond. It will swing away from the creek at spots, but it's there somewhere.

2) - It takes a really heavy rain to muddy up spring creek , and it's usually a good bet when penns is blown out.

1) - But I wouldn't be real quick to give up on penns. Because they are such large flies, fish will still rise to green drakes in high brown water. And the best part? Most of the other fishermen think that the stream is not fishable, and you might have the whole place to yourself.

Talk to Bruce. He'll tell ya where to fish.

I think you got lucky. The drake was dynamite last night. Park at cherry run and walk towards the tunnel, anywhere is awesome. Good luck, tight lines and wet nets

Back